PDA

View Full Version : funky new plane from LV

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-28-2012, 3:33 PM
was just looking for something on LVs site and checked the "what's new" page as I'm apt to do -

anyone else see this? It's kind of neat. Maybe a little gimmicky, but I'm tempted to play with one at some point. Maybe use some reversible adhesive so I can get the thing back out.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=69857&cat=51&ap=1

Chris Griggs
08-28-2012, 3:39 PM
Hey! I bet that's what Rob was going to use for the Great Woodie Build-off. Come on Rob, where's your entry????

Trevor Walsh
08-28-2012, 4:09 PM
I could imagine a really neat set of pattern makers chamfer planes with multiple bodies (width chamfer) retained with a bolt that fit the same cutter body.

I think I will build a set out of some crazy wood If I can get my hands on the right stock.

Brian Kent
08-28-2012, 4:11 PM
Certainly is an imagination grabber. My first question is about how firmly is would set. I guess if you make it fit tightly enough the price would be fine to just leave it in place and not interchange between planes.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-28-2012, 4:18 PM
The "instructions" link is working now, and I think it's a neat detail that the screw is left hand threaded, and they mention clockwise still tightens the blade - so I guess that flange on the screw is actually pressing out on the blade at the top, forcing it tight, via a sort of levering action against the bed down by the blade. Kind of a neat detail.

Rob Lee
08-28-2012, 4:18 PM
Hey! I bet that's what Rob was going to use for the Great Woodie Build-off. Come on Rob, where's your entry????

Dang... ya got me....

I'm feeling guilty now... 3 ebony blanks on my desk, and the first inset plane...

I feel shame.

:)

Cheers -

Rob

Tim Put
08-28-2012, 4:31 PM
"The body of the inset plane is cast stainless steel and corrosion resistant"

Trial model for a new material for plane bodies?

Jerry Thompson
08-28-2012, 5:46 PM
I'm gonna put it in a 24'' body and flatten a table top with it. Lets see I'm 70...think I'll make it?

george wilson
08-28-2012, 5:55 PM
Why insert them in wood? I use small violin size planes a lot. Hopefully their soles are thick enough to file into convex planes for carving violins,arch top guitars,etc..

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-28-2012, 6:45 PM
If not, I guess they've got the little versions of this plane with the palm bit in covex shapes, but those are a little more expensive.

Jim Matthews
08-28-2012, 7:03 PM
Dang... ya got me....
I feel shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbL7lG0Su8

You go to de box by yourself, you know - two minutes and you feel shame.
Den you get free.

Trevor Walsh
08-28-2012, 7:48 PM
I'm going to order one to-now and try out some of these things. I'll start a thread.

Update: Placed my order, also got two pair of those mini three jaw hex chucks, two for power use and another pair for a handheld pin vice.

Now to find some suitable planestock, I have plenty of beech, but I've also got bubinga, honduran rosewood and a piece of box. Any thoughts?

What should the chamfer widths be? I'm thinking 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8" any others I should include? Or other ideas for profiles?

Rob Lee
08-28-2012, 7:56 PM
Hey Jim -

You nailed the quote....one of my favorite scenes ever....

Want to guess where the "11" in PM-V11 came from???

Cheers -

Rob

Trevor Walsh
08-28-2012, 8:33 PM
The number of inset planes you plan to accidentally ship in my recent order?

Michael H Greene
08-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey Jim -

Want to guess where the "11" in PM-V11 came from???

Cheers -

Rob

Nigel Tufnel?

James Taglienti
08-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I guess I just thought it was your 11th effort at formulating the metal ... But now with all the Slapshot stuff

Chris Griggs
08-29-2012, 6:29 AM
Hey Jim -

Thanks for the video posting Jim. I didn't realize Rob was quoting something with his I feel shame comment. I'm not sure I should admit that I was not at all familiar with that movie... it looks pretty funny so I guess I'll be Netflixing it now.... Oh and Rob, don't think this means you're off the hook. I still want to see you post one of these in the build-off thread.

Jim Matthews
08-29-2012, 8:24 AM
"... guess where the "11' in PM-V11 came from???"

The number of years the Leafs will be out of the playoffs?
The number of hours it takes to drive back from Kanata, after a game?

The number of days it was cold enough for ice in my backyard last, year?

I dunno... throw me a bone, here.240153

Jim Matthews
08-29-2012, 8:26 AM
Thanks for the video posting Jim. I didn't realize Rob was quoting something with his I feel shame comment. I'm not sure I should admit that I was not at all familiar with that movie... it looks pretty funny so I guess I'll be Netflixing it now.... Oh and Rob, don't think this means you're off the hook. I still want to see you post one of these in the build-off thread.

Make sure you get the trifecta - Slapshot/Youngblood/Breakaway (aka Speedy Singhs)

Might be the only hockey on TV, this year.

Rob Lee
08-29-2012, 8:40 AM
"... guess where the "11' in PM-V11 came from???"

The number of years the Leafs will be out of the playoffs?
The number of hours it takes to drive back from Kanata, after a game?

The number of days it was cold enough for ice in my backyard last, year?

I dunno... throw me a bone, here.240153

Jim -

It's Nigel.... you were scooped....!

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Matthews
08-29-2012, 7:52 PM
Nigel's not Canadian - you cheated.

In any case, you missed the optimal release date (http://nigeltufnelday.tumblr.com/), last year...
I do think you should desist in any product development for your horticultural division,
lest other unfortunate drummers suffer bizarre gardening accidents.

harry hood
08-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Jim -

It's Nigel.... you were scooped....!

Why don't you just make ten the final version and make ten be the top number and make that a little better?

Jim gormley
09-01-2012, 2:26 PM
"But this one goes to eleven"