PDA

View Full Version : Big Tooth Maple Root HF

Curt Fuller
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
This is a piece of maple root (upside down with the bottom being where the tree grew from) that was decorated by some kind of bugs. They made quite a maze of trails and tunnels under the bark but left the bark intact and solid. It's 7" x 6" and finished with minwax antique oil but not buffed yet.

Rick Markham
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Gotta love those decorating bugs! You and the bugs did good Curt! That's an awesome form, especially love the "void" that's completely bark. The bugs just made it all that much more of a striking piece.

Roger Chandler
08-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Very nice work, Curt.........a fine turning, for sure! Those bugs that decorate...............I am not too fond of them! :eek::D

Ken Glass
08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Curt,
Beautiful form and what striking bark/wood combination. You seem to bring out the best with these voided HF's. Well Done.

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Great looking hf Curt! The bugs did a nice job of piercing and the contrast between wood and bark looks great. And I see you're back to your old tricks to avoid having to blow chips out of the form while hollowing :D

charlie knighton
08-28-2012, 3:22 AM
nicely done, what safety extras did you use Curt?

Michelle Rich
08-28-2012, 4:53 AM
oooohhhh! art bugs! we all need those!! :-0 very very nice HF

Tim Rinehart
08-28-2012, 8:01 AM
That came out great. I also like the bark contrast. My only disappointment with leaving bark is that it really shrinks back alot since the ones I did weren't all dry or rough turned. Still, it makes a great contrast.
I like the form and subtle lip too!

steven carter
08-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Very nice HF Curt. Thre is a lot going on with this one, you could present a different side and get variety from one turning.

Scott Hackler
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice piece Curt. Some people will turn anything so they don't have to blow out the shavings!

Jim Burr
08-28-2012, 1:34 PM
Those voids are cool! Did you burn 'em or is that the original color? Worm/bug motel rooms look great!

John Bare
08-29-2012, 3:26 PM
About what size is the opening that you hollowed through on this?

John Bare

Curt Fuller
08-29-2012, 8:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Me and the bugs appreciate it.

About what size is the opening that you hollowed through on this?

John Bare
This was drilled out prior to hollowing with a 1" forstner bit. By the time I was done hollowing it was a little bigger, maybe about 1 1/8" or so.

nicely done, what safety extras did you use Curt?
Charlie, as for safety extras, I really didn't do anything other than the standard stuff. I wear a Bionic face shield for almost all turning nowadays. On something like this it helps to keep the shavings that fly out the voids out of your face. This piece of wood was very solid compared to some I turn so I wasn't very worried about it coming apart. But these odd pieces of wood can come apart if you get a bad catch. I used a captured hollowing system (Jamison style) so that gives pretty good control while hollowing and catches are minimal. And for sanding I use a larger 4" disc on a right angle drill. The larger disc allows you to sand with the trailing edge of the disc so it doesn't get grabbed by the voids. Fine sanding is done with the lathe off. The inside isn't sanded, just scraped fairly clean with a round scraper on the hollower for a few passes. Don't stick your fingers in any tight opening when it's turning, but especially not one with a jagged edge like this. That's about it.

Those voids are cool! Did you burn 'em or is that the original color? Worm/bug motel rooms look great!
Nope Jim, no burning. Everything is the natural color enhanced by the Antique Oil. The bark was pretty dark to start with and the oil darkened it more.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2012, 8:34 PM
That is a beauty Curt. Lots of detail and the wood is outstanding.