PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat over Acrylic Paint

Don Jarvie
08-27-2012, 8:35 PM
I just finished a dresser/changing table for No 2 due shortly. I used poplar and painted it with semi gloss latex paint (that's what the boss wanted). She wants me to put a clear coat over the top to protect it. Antsuggestions? My concern is something comparable with latex paint. I'm all ears

Jason Roehl
08-27-2012, 8:50 PM
Waterborne polyurethane floor finish works well. Just be really careful putting it on any vertical surfaces--it self-levels quickly.

Scott Holmes
08-27-2012, 8:57 PM
Did you use latex "wall" paint or a 100% acrylic paint? Or maybe a water-borne enamel?

Shawn Pixley
08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
For what it is worth, I would not clearcoat over the top of the latex. The people who built the house I live in, clear-coated over the gray on some built-ins. It is a pain to repair.

Don Jarvie
08-28-2012, 7:53 AM
Scott, I used Benjamin Moore Regal which states its a 100% acrylic resin. I didn't even think of using enamel paint whic h I used before.

Howard Acheson
08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Adding an acrylic clear coat will not add much in the way of additional protection. Paint is primarily the same thing as clear acrylic with lots of opaque pigment coloring added. If you want additional protection, just add another coat of your acrylic paint.