PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 25mm serrated jaws for my Nove G3 ?

Jack Gaskins
08-27-2012, 7:41 PM
Anyone know if there is a set of 25mm jaws out there that have serrated grip and would fit in my Nova G3? I have some bird houses to hold and they have a 1.25" or so spigot and need something that can bite a little on them. They kinda come lose on my pin jaws.

Thanks,
Jack

Ryan Baker
08-27-2012, 8:33 PM
The Patriot pin jaws have ridges on the inside for some grip and have worked well for me. They don't slip like the Nova pin jaws. (Two mounting screws keeps the jaws from flexing out as much, which would tend to spit out parts.) The Nova mini step jaws (from the four piece set) are also serrated on the inside. Both of those are ideally suited to something considerably less than a inch to an inch and a quarter (like the Nova pin jaws), but they should work.

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Jack, Nova makes a 35mm spigot jaws and I think they'll go down to less than 1.25". They work well if you have a piece you really need to hang on to and they can take a pretty long tenon. I've used them to turn some pretty big pieces.

Michael Mills
08-28-2012, 9:27 AM
I measured the set I have and they are 1-7/32 fully closed, the Nova specs say 1.22.
Not much to hold, about 1/32 to bite in.
They are very good jaws and 1”+ deep. I would drill a 1.25 hole with a forstner bit then turn down to a wall thickness of 1/8 or so. Cut your kerf and insert your homemade collet in the 35mm spigot jaws and you will have plenty of strength and a full 1/4+ to tighten.
The spigot jaw sets are serrated the full interior depth.

Roger Chandler
08-28-2012, 1:50 PM
I don't think jaws can be mixed as far as manufacturer........the nova chucks require nova jaws, oneway and others are the same way............just a reminder, so no one spends money for jaws then not have them fit their chuck.

Michael Mills
08-28-2012, 4:17 PM
Good point Roger, the ones I referenced are Nova jaws and fits the G3. It should be noted that you would want the 35mm Spigot Jaws not the 35mm Bowl Jaws; they are completely different.

Mike Peace
08-28-2012, 4:46 PM
I almost never use my 35mm spigot jaws since I have Powergrip jaws for big stuff. But as Mike suggested they would be excellent for holding a wooden collet since they are much deeper than the 50mm jaws. As long as you size the collet properly so the tenon of your project will fit into the collet with the saw kerf open you should be able to hold it with no problem.