PDA

View Full Version : How scrupulous must the prime coat be?

Sam Murdoch
08-27-2012, 6:05 PM
If, in the course of sanding between coats of paint you end up breaking through the primer - just barely but enough to show some bare wood in a feathery pattern no bigger in area than a match flame - must you touch up that spot with primer before you can proceed to the finish coat? Water based - being applied with a spray system. Just 2nd guessing myself after 30 years of never worrying about this stuff. Any comments?

joe milana
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
58 views & not one response from the Guru's :confused: I've sanded through as you describe a 1000 times. It's never come back to haunt me. The product I have been using (General finishes pigmented poly) is described as a "self sealing" product & doesn't require an undercoater. The instructions state: "for best results & a smooth finish, an undercoater is recommended".

Sam Murdoch
08-28-2012, 1:05 PM
Thanks Joe for chiming in, I thought I had just asked a dumb question :(. Me too I've sanded through the primer 1,000 s of times with no regrets.
Don't know why I'm having 2nd thoughts now, but I thought at least that it might be worth a discussion - obviously a short one :).