PDA

View Full Version : Really, Festool, really?

johnny means
08-27-2012, 2:03 PM
Of course, right the after I get tired of waiting for Festool to send us an impact driver, I see the T15 is being released here real soon. Of course, this is right after I start investing in the Dewalt 20v line of tools to replace my old Ridgids.

Greg R Bradley
08-27-2012, 2:33 PM
Don't worry, It's junk and you wouldn't want it.

Not in quality, but in design.

Makita Brushless 3 speed is the best one out there for most people although the big Bosch and Hilti probably are best when limited to large fasteners.

joe milana
08-27-2012, 4:28 PM
The Panasonic's are nice as well, and the NmH batteries last for years. Guess it depends on what you are doing.

howard s hanger
08-27-2012, 8:11 PM
Festool? Junk? Really? Hmmmm. I have the regular T15 and it is EASILY the best drill I have ever owned. It's light, compact, has tons of torque. Try driving a large screw at very slow speeds and see if your drill bogs down or stops. My T15 doesn't. It also has electronics that will keep you from overheating it. Not to mention the centrotec system that allows me to go from have a drill bit to a driver in about 2 seconds. If you only have one drill available, it would save a huge amount of time. I know, it did for me after having to drill a lot of countersunk holes and then run a screw in right afterwards. Not trying to start a flame war as I used to think Festool was crazy with their high prices. However, it is the one brand of hand power tool that I won't have to replace anytime soon. Expensive, yea. Worth it, IMO, heck yes.

Chris Parks
08-27-2012, 8:25 PM
What is the point of the thread?

Larry Edgerton
08-27-2012, 8:35 PM
My supplier sent me over a Festool driver to try out. I wouldnt trade one of my old Makitas for that thing let alone pay what they want for one new. May be alright on a bench, but in the air it is clumsy. Didn't drive screws as good as my Makita's.

I'll put it right up there with a rainbow vacuum cleaner......

Larry

Steven Hsieh
08-27-2012, 9:00 PM
Who cares what the brand it is.....as long as it can screw in a screws.

John Fabre
08-27-2012, 9:41 PM
I wouldn't trade my old 24v DeWalts for nothing, not even for two Festools. If they screw, they screw, who cares how and how much.

Sam Murdoch
08-27-2012, 9:50 PM
The Panasonic's are nice as well, and the NmH batteries last for years. Guess it depends on what you are doing.

Panasonics for me for the past 8 years - drill/drivers and impact - great tools!

Greg R Bradley
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Festool? Junk? Really? Hmmmm. I have the regular T15 and it is EASILY the best drill I have ever owned. It's light, compact, has tons of torque. Try driving a large screw at very slow speeds and see if your drill bogs down or stops. My T15 doesn't. It also has electronics that will keep you from overheating it. Not to mention the centrotec system that allows me to go from have a drill bit to a driver in about 2 seconds. If you only have one drill available, it would save a huge amount of time. I know, it did for me after having to drill a lot of countersunk holes and then run a screw in right afterwards. Not trying to start a flame war as I used to think Festool was crazy with their high prices. However, it is the one brand of hand power tool that I won't have to replace anytime soon. Expensive, yea. Worth it, IMO, heck yes.

Sure, the T15 drill IS fabulous. I LOVE mine. It is difficult to believe that a cordless drill set can be worth $585 but it actually IS worth it.

It is the Ti15 Impact Driver about to be introduced in the US that everyone is complaining about. I was visited by a tool dealer from Austria yesterday that told me he hasn't had one happy buyer.

It is the tool that matters not the brand, but Festool are mostly incredibly good tools. The Carvex 400 and Ti15 impact seem to be the rare bad one.

Mike Heidrick
08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I own the makitas `8V li/ion set. The batteries are really not all that great - I have had a couple die on me so far. Not a super fan of the batteries but I love the drill and impact.

I think i would go 20V Dewalt too if I was buying today.

$585 is steep for that little drill/screwdriver even with the add on heads and T loc systainer. Guess you can use the $175 worklight with those batts. Its a system right??? I love my 150/3 and really love the systainers but I have a hard time swallowing the entry fee on their other offerings - and I am a crazy tool guy. They make nice stuff I know.

Jeff Monson
08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm a Festool fan, I have quite a collection of their tools. I cant however pay the big dollars for their drills or more for an impact driver. I have tried them at tool shows, and yes they are very nice but I just cant justify the money to drive screws. I have Milwaukee and Hitachi impact drivers, they are 1/2 the price and work great. Not bashing Festool in the least, but expensive drills are just not for me.

Mike Henderson
08-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I bought the DeWalt 12V impact driver, drill set and I'm very happy with it. I still have my 18V DeWalt drill/driver set if the 12V isn't strong enough. But the impact driver is a wonderful tool.

And the DeWalt set of two units (impact driver and drill) was only about $135 on special.

Mike

Jacob Reverb
08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
What is the point of the thread?

Festool http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif