PDA

View Full Version : Robland XSD 310 Jointer/Planer

Dave Avery
04-12-2005, 6:26 PM
Good Evening All,

Have a chance to get a new 12" Robland J/P for $1,300 plus ~$400 shipping. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not a bad machine that retails for $2,895 plus shipping. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Nick Mitchell
04-12-2005, 7:24 PM
Go for it! Can't get a decent 12" jointer for that money, even if you never use the planer.
Is this a private sale? Getting a warranty?

Dave Avery
04-12-2005, 8:12 PM
Nick,

Yes, it's a private sale. I have to check wth Laguna regarding transferrability of the warranty - it's less than 6 months old.

I'm leaning toward yes, for the same reason that you mentioned. It will be a huge upgrade from my current 6" jointer, but I don't want to buy it and 5 years from now wish I had purchaed a MM, Felder, etc. Dave.

Paul B. Cresti
04-12-2005, 9:02 PM
Dave,
Being a multiple MM owner I guess I am a little biased with a good reason. The Robland is not in the same league as the MM or Felders. I do not mean to offend anyone but that is a fact. That being said if you are considering a MM down the line you may want to think about saving your cash for then. $1300 is cheap and the price of a MM is considerably more but then again it is way more that 4x the machine, quality wise. If it was me I would wait and get what I really want.

Joe Mioux
04-12-2005, 9:04 PM
Dave:

If the J/P retails new for $2900 and is less than 6 months old, why wouldn't you want to buy it for $1700?

In 5 years, if you wanted to sell it, you could probaly get most if not all your money back out of it.

Joe

Nick Mitchell
04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Dave, if you appreciate quality machines then i can honestly say you will wish you had bought a Felder or an MM. As Paul said, both machines are in a different league than the Robland. However, that doesn't make the Robland any less of a good deal. As Joe stated, you could use it for a couple of years and sell it for most of what you paid for it. I still say go for it.

Jim Becker
04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Yea, I'll add my "go" to the pile. Outstanding buy and certainly one you can get your money out of later should you decide to upgrade.

John Renzetti
04-13-2005, 6:41 AM
Hi, Ditto on what Jim Becker said about getting that Robland. That is a real good deal. Go for it.
I've seen the XSD and for the price that is a good machine.
take care,
John

Mike Wilkins
04-13-2005, 8:47 AM
Dave, I think this is too good a deal to pass up. I just purchased a similar
machine from Andreou Machinery in New Jersey and paid $2800 plus $350 for
shipping to NC. I looked at others such as the MM and Felder, but my money
at this time is not long enough. And I will probably upgrade some time in the
future when money starts to look better.
For this price, you cannot buy a decent 12" jointer, even if you never use
the planer. I too went from a 6" Jet jointer to this 12" combo, and it has been
great for the wider stock I sometimes use.
Go for it and enjoy.

Dave Avery
04-13-2005, 9:36 AM
Thanks guys........ any recommendations as to which shipping company to use?