PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
27 Aug 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, I spent the weekend away with the family at a local motorcycle rally. We had a good time visiting with other motorcyclists, friends, and taking time with family while there. The LOML drove the van so she could carry all the luggage, food, snacks, and etc to the cabin we rented for the weekend. Me and one of my sons rode our motorcycles down to the rally location in the DeGray State Park area. We both got rained on during our return trip home yesterday afternoon, but we did get to be cool for the last 10 miles of the trip home. :)

Back to the grind today and I'm tired from travel and staying up too late each night while gone for the weekend.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
My wife left early Saturday morning for a girls weekend and my daughter spent Friday night my MIL's so it was a quiet Saturday morning here. I finished up a couple details on the laundry room and half bath like hanging a mirror, changing out the toilet paper holder and towel bar, and installing plumbing shutoffs under the sink in preparation for granite install on Wednesday. All I have left is making the sink connections when they are done.

My daughter and I went to check out appliances at one of the local shops that I thought didn't have consumer-friendly hours based on the last time we shopped for appliances. Turns out they've expanded their hours greatly which is good news. They ended up being the same price as the other quote we got but offered to order now if we used their 18mo SAC financing and store them until Nov/Dec when we need them. And the transaction will sit as "pending" until delivery so we won't even be paying anything for them until delivery. I jumped on that offer since it means no concerns about last minute availability or price changes.

Then I started making face frames for the kitchen and got about 6 of those made, about 2/3 of the lowers.

Oh, and my daughter and I spent a couple hours playing with the lathe Sunday morning. She made her mom a pen and herself an iPod stylus. We had two pieces break so I made her a 2-color pen from the pieces that were good. She learned that cleaning up the mess takes longer than making pens! I learned that I need to find a small air filter unit to hang in the corner of the basement where we have the lathe or move it out to my shop after the kitchen is done.

David Hostetler
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
I spent a good part of the weekend laid up with a flare up of my back issues. LOTS of Icy Hot, Muscle Relaxers, and Alieve... I've done / keep doing the excersizes the docs tell me to do, no help there honestly...

What little I did get actually accomplished was rolling paint out on another large section of the living room ceiling. I need to cut in a couple of corners tonight, and move furniture to the other side of the living room so I can swap sides and complete the job...

Got the 1/2" plywood bottoms, and the 3/4" faces for the miter saw bench drawers cut. Need the sides and backs done. The design is a little fully, but the bottoms are wider than the sides, they will ride in a slot created by nail / gluing 3/4" ply runners to the inside of the carcass. This should give me a good, solid runner, with no added cost, and easy build. Once the drawers are in, I can get the loose stuff put away.

Got the plastic shelving torn down, and packaged up to go into the attic. I am ready to get this thing permanently out of my way. The clam shell cabinets are down. Once the drawers are built and stuff stashed, I can move the band saw, lathe, drill press, and dust collection tubing out of the way... Then down comes the sheet rock!

Gregory King
08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Spent Saturday and part of Sunday getting the firewood in for the winter. Certainly don't need it soon with the forecast for warm temps. in the next two weeks. Lately around 28 degrees C. here. Has been a fantastic summer for vacation. Cleaned up around the new house and preparing to install drywall soon.

Jack Wilson50
08-27-2012, 4:14 PM
Started a new cutting board project that I am making for one of my partners.

Alan Bienlein
08-27-2012, 4:34 PM
I finally got around to building a horizontal slot mortiser. I just bought the plans from Woodgears.ca about a week ago. Its built from all scraps I had lying around the shop. There's a mix of cherry, birch and white oak plywood along with some scrap walnut and rift sawn red oak. I have about $29 invested in it including the cost of the plans.

I still need to finish the table you clamp your stock onto and the crank and counter mechanism. I even used the tenon jig I just built from plans that I got off his sight.

Shawn Pixley
08-27-2012, 6:15 PM
I wanted to work in the shop this weekend but didn't feel up to it. All I felt up to was ordering material and padding on some shellac for a gift box for my nephew. Sounds like everyone was more productive than me.

I have had this cough for going on three weeks now. Went to the doctor today and got a diagnosis of walking pneumonia.

Anthony Diodati
08-27-2012, 8:46 PM
Stomach problems, worked out the details on my Bandsaw tensioner, worked out pretty good.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190464-Highland-Hardware-bandsaw-tensioner

I spent a good part of the weekend laid up with a flare up of my back issues. LOTS of Icy Hot, Muscle Relaxers, and Alieve... I've done / keep doing the excersizes the docs tell me to do, no help there honestly...

What little I did get actually accomplished was rolling paint out on another large section of the living room ceiling. I need to cut in a couple of corners tonight, and move furniture to the other side of the living room so I can swap sides and complete the job...

Got the 1/2" plywood bottoms, and the 3/4" faces for the miter saw bench drawers cut. Need the sides and backs done. The design is a little fully, but the bottoms are wider than the sides, they will ride in a slot created by nail / gluing 3/4" ply runners to the inside of the carcass. This should give me a good, solid runner, with no added cost, and easy build. Once the drawers are in, I can get the loose stuff put away.

Got the plastic shelving torn down, and packaged up to go into the attic. I am ready to get this thing permanently out of my way. The clam shell cabinets are down. Once the drawers are built and stuff stashed, I can move the band saw, lathe, drill press, and dust collection tubing out of the way... Then down comes the sheet rock!

Joe A Faulkner
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Friday Night I started on this little designer cutting board. Spent more time than I care to admit on it on Saturday sorting through scraps and playing around with the random color scheme for the mini, multi-species butcher block. A little more time on Sunday. Still needs some serious sanding. Can't believe the mess I made cutting all of the pieces and doing the glue up. My first attempt at this particular design. Dimensions are 7x11 1/2" thick. I did get all of the clamps put away and most of the mess cleaned up.

Mike Heidrick
08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Dealing with hail damage claim from a storm a couple weeks ago. It destroyed a cedar playground I had. Found a new one in a south Chicago suburb so I went up and got it Sat. Had to replace a couple trailer tires before leaving, and when we got there we sure were lucky a coupe neighbors helped carry out the Fort. 6 of us total to carry it. Got it home and assembled it again Sun and tonight. kids sure are happy. I plan to tie strap this one down a lot better. Siding guys will be bidding out over the next week. Goig to change a window and add some insulation while that siding is off. Try and seal up the house a lot better.

Alan that jig looks awesome. I love woodgears.ca!

Joe, Love the cutting board.

Dennis what do you ride?? I am a Vmax guy - 2010 newer 1700 one. We have our IL rally Sept 13-15.

Joe Shinall
08-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Been away for a while and I always enjoyed reading and posting to this each week so I have returned.

Was able to finish a full wall of adjustable shelving in the back of my shop that I have desperately needed. I had tools all over 3 rooms inside the new house with nowhere to put them. 16 feet of 8 foot tall cabinets and now I have my house back. Or I should say I have my office back, the other 2 rooms are the wife's. Cleared out 11 rubbermaids and 5 boxes of tools I have been missing. This, in turn, lead to the finishing of other projects now that I can get to everything. Remodeling so now I can finish baseboards, trim, flooring, etc...