PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" or 3/4" overhang

Floyd Cox
08-27-2012, 7:41 AM

Do I need to have 3/4 or 1/2 overhang on the lip, I am using 3/4" plywood?
I didn't know if there was some kind of rule for this.

Thanks for the help on the previous post one what material to use.

Floyd

Gregory King
08-27-2012, 8:20 AM
Floyd, from what I can see in the picture, it appears that you have a rail on the carcass as well. The old standard rule of thumb is a 1" - 1 1/8" overhang past that point. Allows for 3/4" overlay doors and knobs. In most cases, it is still personal preference. greg

Kenneth Speed
08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Gregory seems to have nailed it. The only thing I'd add is that I'd consider the depth of the kick in relation to the overhang. As Gregory pointed out you're allowing clearance for doors and door pulls but you're also engineering the ability to get close to the work surface which may be important if the cabinetry changes functions as the baby grows up

Ken.

Ken

Floyd Cox
08-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the information Gregory & Ken. The unit will not have any doors installed .

Floyd

Gregory seems to have nailed it. The only thing I'd add is that I'd consider the depth of the kick in relation to the overhang. As Gregory pointed out you're allowing clearance for doors and door pulls but you're also engineering the ability to get close to the work surface which may be important if the cabinetry changes functions as the baby grows up

Ken.

Ken