PDA

View Full Version : Need some education on a #45

Matt Ranum
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
The Mrs. and I went away for the weekend to a relatives wedding. Not to far from home but far enough. Anyway, we decided to hit some antique stores. Desire-able planes in this neck of the woods can be kinda hard to come by but found some interesting stuff, most of which I already had or that were priced out of my immediate budget. A couple things I've never laid eyes on before caught my eye though. First was not 1, but 2 Stanley scraper planes for $100 each. They were behind locked glass so I didn't get to fondle them. The next booth had 2 generic Warranted Superior cross cut saws that were fairly cleaned up for $200 each! :eek:

This morning though we stopped at another store in a different town and behind more locked glass was a Stanley #46 That was priced at $189 I think it was, with no cutters. The next booth down though had a #45 priced "as is" for $39. I don't know enough about these combo planes to know what I'm looking at. I'll put some pics here and maybe you all can tell me how fortunate I was to leave it there. :rolleyes: The 45 had what looked like a 1/4" dado cutter in it but nothing else.

The same person also had a nice type 9 #7c that I probably should have taken home to put next to my type 9 #8c. Asking $35 for the #7. They also had a Miller Falls miter box but I didn't catch the number but for $35 I probably should have left with that too.

Bill Houghton
08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't know...it's got all its parts. It's the non-fine-adjustment fence, not nearly as nice as the fine-adjustment fence; but you can learn to live with that.

The cutters can be expensive, but they do show up separately on That Auction Site.

I'd consider getting it, myself; but, then, I like my No. 45.

Matt Ranum
08-26-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't know...it's got all its parts.

Well thats what I was concerned about. Not knowing a heck of a lot about them I wasn't entirely sure if it was complete or not. Except for the cutters that is.

Is there a way to "date" it?

I'd consider getting it, myself; but, then, I like my No. 45.

I was getting one of "those looks" from the Mrs. while I was holding it. :p I get back that periodically for work so I may have to pop in next time I'm there.;)

Matt Radtke
08-26-2012, 11:52 PM
The same person also had a nice type 9 #7c that I probably should have taken home to put next to my type 9 #8c. Asking $35 for the #7. They also had a Miller Falls miter box but I didn't catch the number but for $35 I probably should have left with that too.

Either you go back and get it or tell where it is and I'll go get it/them.

Matt Ranum
08-27-2012, 8:51 AM
As much as I hate to I'll share it just because lord knows when I'm going to get back there, beside things are tight right now anyway. If someone else is going to buy it/them it may as well be a fellow Creeker.

Ruxton's Antique center in Black River Falls WI had the #7, miter box, #45 and the #46 I looked at as well as some other woodies. Most stuff was pretty reasonably priced I thought. 6 different vendors rent space in this basement shop.

The Antique Mall of Tomah WI had the 2 $100 scraper planes as well as a number of others that were pre-WWII. Everything here was on the spendy side being right along the interstate.

Crawford's New & used in Sparta WI. They didn't have much in the way of tools but they were loaded for bear with very nice antique furniture! Priced pretty decent I thought.

Happy hunting! :)

Jim Koepke
08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
The Stanley 45 has a broken handle and the knob is a replacement. Other than that the price isn't out of line. The real difference on the typing of them in this range is the details on the casting for the fence. The angle of you photo doesn't show the detail enough to tell if it is a type 7, 8 or 9. The type 7 has an oval on the casting with a 45 inside. The type 8 & 9 have "Trade Mark" also cast into the side. The type 9 abandoned the floral pattern on the arms of the fence casting.

My shop currently has two #8s and one #7. At the price for the #7c, I would have thought long and hard before passing on it. Especially if the handles were good. If it was in good useable condition, it could be resold at a profit.

I do not know about the miter box. It could also be a winner.

jtk

Matt Ranum
08-27-2012, 5:01 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. Other than the broken handle on the 45 I couldn't see anything wrong with it but they have a lot of parts which is why I asked. I didn't think the price was out of line at all and probably would have left with it and others if I wasn't getting "that look :mad:" from swmbo(i like sleeping in the house :p). The #7 has a broken horn on the tote and the iron is pretty well shot other than that it was pretty decent.

Needless to say I've been kicking myself since I left empty handed.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2012, 5:09 PM
I didn't think the price was out of line at all and probably would have left with it and others if I wasn't getting "that look " from swmbo(i like sleeping in the house ). The #7 has a broken horn on the tote and the iron is pretty well shot other than that it was pretty decent.

One of my tricks for getting SWMBO to go along with me purchasing something is to let her buy a few things for herself. It then makes it a little difficult for her to not let me buy a tool that can be used after she bought a "dust collector."

Another tactic I use is to tell her that the item could be sold at a profit if it is fixed up a little.

Finally, if she wants me to build something, any tool found in the wild will of course help to do the project.

jtk

Matt Ranum
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
One of my tricks for getting SWMBO to go along with me purchasing something is to let her buy a few things for herself. It then makes it a little difficult for her to not let me buy a tool that can be used after she bought a "dust collector."

Another tactic I use is to tell her that the item could be sold at a profit if it is fixed up a little.

Finally, if she wants me to build something, any tool found in the wild will of course help to do the project.

jtk

;) Have to keep that in mind.