PDA

View Full Version : The BLM that didn't get carved

Kathy Marshall
08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I've started doing a little carving on my forms, and I've been trying to come up with some designs to try. Since I have a nice long commute back and forth to work, I have plenty of time to think about it. A week or so ago I came up with a design with just a little bit of carving that I wanted to try.
I had a long blank of BLM that I had cut in half for 2 hollow form blanks. I had already turned one of them and I'm in the process of carving it, it carves easily and so I decided to use the 2nd blank for this project.
I finish turned it on Saturday, then wrapped it up to await sanding and carving today.
Got it completely sanded, had it mounted in my carving stand with pencil in hand to mark out the lines to carve, and I just couldn't do it. It might have been a mistake, it might have been even better with the carving but I liked the heartshaped form so much and the surface that sanded up so nicely, that I couldn't make myself cut into it. I'm sure I'll come up with another piece that wants to be carved.
So here is the BLM that didn't get carved.
Forgot to measure, but it's about 6" x 5" or so, finish is antique oil, buffed and renwaxed.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome

Steve Vaughan
08-26-2012, 10:20 PM
And that's the key to smart craftsmanship and artistry. Knowing when and when not to. I think you made a very wise decision with this one. Wish I could do that...know when and when not to...

Roger Chandler
08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I think you made the right decision Kathy........I think you have a real winner of a form here..........that would look good displayed anywhere!

Fred Belknap
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I like the way you did around the opening. Very pretty wood and form.

Rick Markham
08-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree with Fred, the tidy little lip seals the deal. It's a nice form, and the BLM has just enough curl to it. Well done, I don't blame you for not wanting to carve it.

Michelle Rich
08-27-2012, 6:58 AM
yep, find a fence post & carve it first! this is a very nice HF..I can see why you resisted!

John Kent
08-27-2012, 7:49 AM
Very nice HF Kathy, the opening is just right, and the form is great. I think your early carvings should be on pieces that really don't have anything else going for it and needs something to make it stand out. This is one of those pieces that doesn't need any help to look like it belongs on someones shelf.:)

Tim Rinehart
08-27-2012, 8:16 AM
Good call on leaving it alone Kathy. Especially as you are developing your carving skills, use on plain wood that doesn't have much else going for it. This is a wonderful piece on its own.

george wilson
08-27-2012, 8:22 AM
An extremely good shape!!

Allan Ferguson
08-27-2012, 8:31 AM
Girl, do I ever agree with the crowd on this one.

Richard Jones
08-27-2012, 8:57 AM
Great work, and boy does that look exactly like cherry...........................

You sure that's not cherry?

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2012, 9:55 AM
Great decision and a beautiful piece.

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2012, 1:00 AM
Thanks everyone!
I'm very glad I didn't carve it up. I actually thought this would be a nice plain piece of wood for carving, but that little bit of curl started peeking out and not to toot my own horn, but i really liked the shape of it. I'm sure I'll find another victim for the knife.

Richard, I'm sure it's not cherry, but I do agree it looks alot like it. It didn't have that nice cherry smell and the antique oil darkened it up enough to look more like cherry.

Josh Bowman
08-28-2012, 7:38 AM
Kathy, I'm tried to find something to be critical of, but can't. The curve and form looks great and the lip really seals the deal. That ones done, stick a fork in it!

charlie knighton
08-28-2012, 8:19 AM
very nice Kathy, strong simple form, nothing else needs to be added