PDA

View Full Version : Working on hf's

Bob Rotche
08-26-2012, 6:51 PM
I would like to become more competent at hollow forms so thought I better start practicing. This one is big leaf maple, measures 4x6", and finished with antique oil, Beall buff and ren wax. Its a bit thick at around 1/4" but feels ok to me. I had been planning on practicing some dye techniques on this one but the figure was so nice that I had to leave it natural. C+C always appreciated.

Harry Robinette
08-26-2012, 7:08 PM
Beautiful piece of wood Bob. Your turning and finishing really made it a great HF.

Rick Markham
08-26-2012, 9:21 PM
Very nice form Bob, love the BLM too, It's one of my favorite to turn. The shadow from the form in the first picture, for some reason, plays tricks with my eyes and made the form look like it had warped a bit. I can tell that isn't the case though, just an observation. Looks like the practice is going well :) Keep it up!

Michelle Rich
08-27-2012, 7:02 AM
I think this is quite a competant HF..and no need to have paper thin walls..1/4 is OK too! pretty piece of wood.

Tim Rinehart
08-27-2012, 8:35 AM
Bob, you have a good eye for form and balance, so you've got over half the battle licked. Don't fret the wall thickness, 1/4" on this is ok in my book. I'm not as big a fan of paper thin as I was even a year ago. I think it's about proportions. For example, the piece that I did on the "Xray turning" has walls a solid 3/8" thick...and too me, it looks well proportioned at about 13" tall. Much less on thickness and folks get scared to handle a piece.
Holiday ornaments...definitely want to get 1/8" or less if possible.
If a piece is going to utilize piercing as one of the elements, then I think 'extra-thin' and consistent is more important.

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2012, 9:59 AM
Great looking HF. I had a friend (pro turner) at the Richmond Symposium told me do a thin HF with a small hole and get it out of your system. He said that there is nothing wrong 1/4" walls.