PDA

View Full Version : Waterstone not well secured to base - recommended fix?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-26-2012, 4:09 PM
I've a set of three Naniwa superstones. The 1000 grit, it feels like it isn't secured well to the base, especially as it's gotten thinner. It seems to require more flattening than the other stones to get perfectly flat, and as such is somewhat visibly losing thickness, and I feel that may be in part due to the attachment to plastic base - if the stone is flexing while flattening, I may have chased an unobtainable goal a bit.

I may have made things worse by not being diligent in making sure it dried well; perhaps the stone has eroded away a bit by standing water puddling in the plastic base. I don't think the Super Stones are supposed to be perma-soaked, and leaving water there may have the same effect. (I've been trying to make sure I turn them upside down to dry now)

When I push down on the ends of the stone, the stone almost appears to flex a fair bit, and the water trapped between the stone and the base gets squeezed out forming a little bit of a puddle at the corner, which would seem to confirm that. I've taken no steps to try and measure this yet, but it's become pretty noticeable.

As it is, I'm really only using the 1000 grit to freehand sharpen the bevels of woodworking tools right now, so being dead flat is not such an issue as if I was trying to rehab a blade that needed the back lapped more. But I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remedy this situation. I'd imagine some sort of caulking or epoxy or something would be a good attachment, but I'm unsure of how to either get it between the base and the stone, or remove the stone entirely without destroying it.

At some point I'd like to replace this stone, but it's got more life in it, and I'm tempted by some of Stu's stones at Tools From Japan - given the added shipping costs, it'll be a while before I try some new stones if I go that route, so I'd like to make this one last a bit.

I bought this from a reputable dealer, and I have no doubt if I approached them, they'd try and do something to make me happy, but I also would feel bad doing that - I'm not convinced the stone had this problem from the start, nor that I didn't cause this problem somehow, even if I'm not sure how, and certainly, the stone continues to work as is for 95% of what I'd use it for even if does flex a little or I can't get it perfectly flat.

David Wong
08-26-2012, 5:35 PM
I have never had the problem of a stone coming loose from its permanent base, but I have had success attaching natural stones to a wooden base with hot glue. I would let the stone thoroughly dry out, then apply a bead of hot glue to the perimeter of the stone. Attempt to force the hot glue into the open seam while forming the bead.

Jim Matthews
08-26-2012, 6:03 PM
BlueTack (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=blu-tack+reusable+adhesive&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=13023038395&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8825297601161893933&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6jxtfo8hqz_b)?

Suguru (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=suguru&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=20737098955&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1297135701911366549&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_3ixwqexylx_e)?