PDA

View Full Version : Outside Watering Timer

Greg Peterson
08-26-2012, 4:09 PM
So last summer I put my a drip irrigation system in my borders. Happy and healthy plants and lower water bill, win/win. If you have been considering a drip irrigation system or are looking for a inexpensive, easy to install system, drip irrigation hits all those marks nicely.

Usually I turn it on for an hour or so in the morning and that takes care of the matter. If we have a really hot day or afternoon I'll give them another shot in the evening.

The problem I have is that sometimes I forget to turn off the water before leaving for work, so then I have to come home for lunch to turn it off. Not a big deal, but unnecessary.

I have been looking at various automated or automatic irrigation timers. I do not need to address multiple zones at this time, however I can see maybe breaking up the system into smaller zones after I finish my landscaping.

What type of automated controllers or timers have you folks used? Any recommendations or caveats with any particular model?

Just for grins and giggles, here is the second and final phase of my hardscaping project known as 'The Alcove'.

Left to right:

1. Furthest, lowest point of my yard facing NW. It all uphill from this corner.
2. Concrete stairs. The riser portion of the block has a roughly hewn granite look and texture. And they were relatively inexpensive compared to any of the other options I could find. A little heavy to work with, but once dry set with a good bed in place they are solid.
3.Same stairs, just the other end looking SW.
4. Dirt-Birtha. This was the fifth container I fill by hand, and likely the last one I will ever do. I took out fifty yards of heavy, clay soil. In return I will have a nice, sunken patio that will be hidden from view.

John Fabre
08-26-2012, 4:40 PM
I have 12 zone Rain Bird timer, been using it for 16 yrs, no problems. Talk about saving water, this saves water, time and headaches. Even has a rain setting where if it rains, the timer will not turn the sprinkers on. Set it and forget it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2012, 4:41 PM
Greg,

I have been using a Toro model on my irrigation/sprinkler system for over a decade. Using it you can have multiple programs, seasonal adjust for hotter/dryer periods of time, individual circuit time control, rain delay/cancel, multiple start times within a given program and more. It has a battery backup that uses a 9 volt battery to save the programming in the event of a power outage. Typically what I do is replace the battery twice a year at the time changes. I haven't had any problems.

Controllers are very important as we have to begin water our yards in late May or early June or they would be dormant by the end of June. Our average annual moisture is 13" officially.

David G Baker
08-26-2012, 4:53 PM
I have Rain-bird timers that I use when I go on vacation. It will do zones but does not have any of the fancy additions and is not digital but it has been fine for my needs.

Lee Schierer
08-26-2012, 8:07 PM
I had the same problem of turning the water on and forgetting to turn it off. I searched a bit and found an Orbit Model 27133 two station lawn sprinkler timer. 239987 It works great. I used it all last summer to take care of a new lawn project in our back yard. You can set each zone for a different time and the duration is adjustable. There is also a manual over ride. I purchased mine at Lowes for under $40.

phil harold
08-26-2012, 9:37 PM
I have the 7year old orbit
Like this one but older style works great
http://smartvancouverhomes.com/?p=138

Myk Rian
08-27-2012, 9:12 AM
We use an Orbit timer when we go on vacation. Ours connects to the garden hose with a sprinkler on it.
We'll set the potted plants in a circle, and set it for 3 minutes each day.

Rod Sheridan
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi, I've used a Melnor timer that threads onto the hose bib for my drip irrigation system. I made an in line flow reducer for it out of a pice of metal with a few holes drilled in it, it goes inside the female hose coupling.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Peterson
08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks gentlemen. The orbit seems to be the winner for my modest, late season requirements.