PDA

View Full Version : Design Software Question

Walt Langhans
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Hey Guys

So after some research and advice from the good people here, I've narrowed down my selection for getting a laser cutter, yeah and thanks! I'll be going with either a Epilog, Universal, Trotec I just need to start pricing to make the final determination. Now my question is, what's the best / easiest software to use to do the designs with?

Specifically I will be focusing on making table top war gaming buildings, for those of you not familiar with that, think 1/10 scale doll houses. What I want to be able to do is design an exterior wall as easily as possible. If I could just drag and drop in things like window and door that would be great, but I'm most concerned with patterns like brick or stone. I would really prefer not to have to re invent the wheel and draw something like that by hand.

Cost of the program is not an issue but ease of use is. I've noticed some questions on the forum about Correll Draw is that what most people use? What about the possibility of Google Sketch up, does that translate?

Thanks in advance!
Walt

Joe Pelonio
08-26-2012, 4:09 PM
I would consider Sketch Up a better program for CNC use. Corel has been the "standard" for lasers, especially Epilog, but in addition to design and laser engraving/cutting directly as output can be used for printing. Trimble Sktch Up is what I have used, is it somehow now associated with Google? Maybe a free, simplified version? My problem with it was that my customers were doing 3D graphics and didn't know how to convert to 2D, and it only exported to CAD files like DXF and DWG, not ai, eps, tif or pdf. That may have changed since.

Larry Bratton
08-26-2012, 6:13 PM
Corel Draw for laser work. If you decide to do photo engraving down the road, I prefer Photoshop over Corel PhotoPaint. I am still running X4 of Corel Draw although it's two versions back now, but I believe that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Good luck with your new adventure.

Walt Langhans
08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info! Is there any threads or videos about how to use Corel Draw so the laser know what to cut and what to engrave? Kind of a Corel Draw for use with lasers for Dummies kind of thing, lol! If it all possible I'd like to try and get up to speed on designing things before I get my laser.

dave hensley
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Walt,

If you happen to go with Epilog, check out Autodesk 123D. It's free and will supposedly output directly to the laser. I say "supposedly" because I have a Universal laser and 123D doesn't work with it (or at least I've not figured it out).

If you're designing 3D objects, something like 123D may work well. I've looked for software that will let you work in 3D and then automatically create the drawings needed for a laser, but haven't found anything. I thought 123D was the ticket, but they are partnered with Epilog, so I may be out of luck of it ever working for me. :(

Dave

Lee DeRaud
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
If you happen to go with Epilog, check out Autodesk 123D. It's free and will supposedly output directly to the laser. I say "supposedly" because I have a Universal laser and 123D doesn't work with it (or at least I've not figured it out).

If you're designing 3D objects, something like 123D may work well. I've looked for software that will let you work in 3D and then automatically create the drawings needed for a laser, but haven't found anything. I thought 123D was the ticket, but they are partnered with Epilog, so I may be out of luck of it ever working for me. :(Last time I tried it (couple months ago), the base 123D modeller was supposedly "beta test", but behaved more like "pre-alpha"...the situation may have improved since then, but I suspect it still has the quirky UI.

But they also have something called "123D Make", which will slice and dice 3D models for laser/CNC cutting from 2D stock. That one appears to be a bit more developed.

Doug Griffith
08-27-2012, 1:34 PM
Personally, my preference is Adobe Illustrator. It can do everything you need and then some. However, if you need assistance from Sawmill Creek related to lasering with software, CorelDraw is the app of choice.

Walt Langhans
08-27-2012, 2:02 PM
I've also come across Corel Designer which looks like more of what I would need seeing how I'm basically designing miniature buildings. Anyone ever used this or have any thoughts regarding it?