PDA

View Full Version : Rockler's new glue Silicone brush.... It works

Bill Huber
08-26-2012, 9:09 AM
Ok, I am a sucker for gadgets I guess.

I had to order some items from Rockler and when I did they popped up the Silicone Glue Brush when I went to check out and I got 2 of them.

I really like them, I did a glue up the other night and use the new brush. The brush works well to spread the glue even across the surface. It works well to carry glue from one area of heavy glue to a thinner area. It is just a little to wide for a 3/4" edge but turning the brush side ways works just fine.

Now they show the dried glue just pulling right off, so after I was done I just left the brush set, no clean up. Then a day later I picked up the dry brush and YES just pulled the glue right off and now it ready to use again.

So I can say I really like it and an added benefit is no bristles in the glue.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31128&site=ROCKLER

Carl Beckett
08-26-2012, 9:16 AM
Thanks for the note Bill.

My wife has a couple of these BBQ type brushes I have my eye on.......

Now that I know they can be tried out and the glue comes off easily without trace ability..... well....... :D

David Hawxhurst
08-26-2012, 9:18 AM
makes me wonder if they're any different than the bbq type.

Don Sundberg
08-26-2012, 9:31 AM
Time to check out Wally World for the grilling brushes. They should be going on clearance soon as they make room for halloween and Christmas stuff.

Don

Roger Feeley
08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a Rockler brush and a bbq brush. The Rockler bristles are a little thicker and stiffer than the cooking one. I wonder if the cooking brush would survive having the glue pulled off. I will probably get a couple more Rockler brushes just to make sure I always have one around.

I still washed mine the first time I used it. I might actually be better off let it dry. I noticed that there was a little glue in the nooks and crannys when I finished washing.

Rich Engelhardt
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Dollar tree has em for a buck..

Jamie Buxton
08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Does cured epoxy just chip off too?

Bruce Darrow
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Similar experience here - impulse buy (2 - one for home, one for work) when ordering something else. I also like them. I've been a finger guy all this time, but the times seem have changed.......there may be cheaper options, but these sure don't break the bank.

Matt Meiser
08-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Rockler seems to be becoming the kitchen gadget store of the woodworking world and some things are really not well thought out (take that metal bin you are supposed to hang out from your work bench with the sharp corners????) Glad to hear these work. The tray seems like a good idea too. We switched Yogurt brands and I'm running out of my stockpile of cups.

Cary Falk
08-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I have one and I hate it. Yes the qlue comes off but the brush itself is too large adn clunky for my taste. I was talking to an employee at my local Rockler the other day and they asked if I wanted to try one out with the rest of my stuff I was buying. I told him that I purchased one online and hated it. He told me if I brought it in he would refund my money. Good to see they stick by their products. A lot of people love it. It just doesn't work for me.

Bill Huber
08-26-2012, 1:27 PM
I have one and I hate it. Yes the qlue comes off but the brush itself is too large adn clunky for my taste. I was talking to an employee at my local Rockler the other day and they asked if I wanted to try one out with the rest of my stuff I was buying. I told him that I purchased one online and hated it. He told me if I brought it in he would refund my money. Good to see they stick by their products. A lot of people love it. It just doesn't work for me.

I think you could just cut it down to your needs, it is a little wide for 3/4" boards but I just turn it side ways and it works just as good. I am sure I will be using some smaller brushes on some things that are really small.

Steven Hsieh
08-26-2012, 2:19 PM
Tell them to make a smaller one
Like 1/2" version of it

Steven Hsieh
08-26-2012, 2:53 PM
I find that if you get glue on the way bottom of the brush, it is a pain to remove it.

Paul Saffold
08-26-2012, 7:05 PM
I have 1 and really like it. Works fine for yellow and hide glues. I don't think I'll try it with epoxy.

Larry Frank
08-26-2012, 7:30 PM
I finally tried one and it works well for me. I like it better than the acid brushes. It can take a couple of minutes to get the glue out of it when it dries but overall, I will continue to use mine.

John Stevens
08-26-2012, 9:49 PM
To each his own :)
I saw one of these in a Rockler store last week but wasn't tempted to buy it: I've been using foam brushes for about five years now, and they work great for spreading glue on the edges of boards. The little spatula-like things Woodcraft sells work great for mortises.

Regards,

John

Mike Henderson
08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been using the wooden coffee stirrers that you find at Starbucks, etc. for putting glue in mortises or dovetails.

Mike

Roger Feeley
08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I think there is no question that Rockler has brought out their fair share of oddball gadgets. But that's what you have to do when you are trying to find new products. Some will sell well and others won't. I choose to celebrate the fact that they are thinking and sort of ignore the fact that they don't always get it right.

They actively solicit inventors and will help them through product design. I like that there is someplace for inventors to go and would be interested in anyone here who has gone through the process with Rockler. Did they treat you fair and square?

George Gyulatyan
08-27-2012, 3:00 AM
makes me wonder if they're any different than the bbq type.
Well, the local Rockler sales clerk did refer to it as "turkey baster" in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. I've been declining their offers, but based on the comments here, I think I'll gvie it a try.

Steve Griffin
08-27-2012, 4:30 AM
Hmmm--all this talking about "easy to clean" sounds like work to me. I don't want to clean anything, even if it's "easy".

I think I'll stick to my little jar of water with several different sizes of cheap brushes.

My favorite is 1", which spreads glue fast on 3/4" boards without Picassoesque effort. Most brushes are too long, so I cut bristles down to about 3/4" long. Easy way to cut brushes down is to grab a big chisel and give it a quick wack.

Lee Schierer
08-27-2012, 4:26 PM
I saw it on the front cover of the catalog that just came but at $4.99 each, I think I'll stick with the used tooth brushes. Since we get check ups every 6 months I get a new supply of two glue brushes every 6 months for free. Keeping them in a small jar of water after use, the glue dissolves and the water just shakes out. Putting them in the water also keeps the glue off your work bench or saw table.

Tim Cottle
08-27-2012, 9:32 PM
I got some at the Dollar Tree, they were 1 shiny dollar.

Bill Petersen
08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I have been looking at those. Also on Amazon there areBenchdog silicon brushes that will be available in a couple of months. I stopped into the 99 Cent Store last week and picked up a silicon BBQ brush. It was quite long and the bristles were quite floppy. With scissors I cut the bristles down to about 1/2" and then cut the handle to about 6". I used it the other day and it did a terrific job of spreading glue very evenly. Clean up was nothing more that a sloshing in a jar of water. I would like to have the little spatula end like the Rockler, but for 99 cents I'm pretty happy and I'm going back for more.

Bill

Dave Zellers
08-28-2012, 12:23 AM
30 years ago I went to an artist supply store and bought a high quality artists' brush for less than 20 dollars. I have been using it ever since. I clean it (before it dries) after using it. That works out to less than 66 cents per year.

Kinda hard to beat. If you're willing to clean it before it dries, it will last forever.

Mark Levitski
08-28-2012, 8:05 PM
We use them, and w/ epoxy. They work well. Sure, they could make a smaller version, but they are easy to cut down.

Now try the silicone muffin tins, cut into individuals, for mixing epoxy. Cat's meow.