PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl with Ambrosia Maple Lid

Roger Chandler
08-25-2012, 7:40 PM
This is not finished yet.........I still have to do some finishing work on it Monday or Tuesday. I have not had time to turn lately.........just too busy! I took a while today after finishing some of my work to do some turning. This will look better when I get some finish sanding and more coats of finish........smoothed out, etc. as the WTF did raise the grain a bit on this.......once totally dry, I can knock it back a bit and smooth it out.

I had hopes that this Ambrosia maple wood look better than it turned out..........can't do much about a lack of figure and of course, I used what I had on hand..........I would have used some ash, but did not have any big enough for the lid.......oh well......it is what it is!

This stands 8.25" high at the tip of the finial and is 6 inches wide .....still a work in progress.

This walnut blank was one that Mike Cruz left me last year when he and Tony DeMasi came by to test drive the monster hollowing rig I have.........thanks Mike!

The club president of Central Virginia Woodturners took the last hollow form I did

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189904-Utilizing-what-you-have-vs-wishing-you-had-what-you-don-t&highlight=

and is placing it in the Shenandoah Valley Arts Center for display in their Arts Festival in September. I had hoped this bowl would have turned out as nice as the hollow form.........maybe with some more work on the finish next week......wish me luck! ;)

Marc Himes
08-25-2012, 8:27 PM
Nice form and balance and it looks like you got a good fit with the lid. It will look very nice when you have a chance to finish the finish.

Steve Vaughan
08-25-2012, 8:39 PM
Very nice looking. And when you get that finish finished, it's gonna rock! I like the contrasting wood.

Roger Chandler
08-25-2012, 9:43 PM
Thanks Marc..........thanks Steve!

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Great looking piece Roger.

Kathy Marshall
08-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Very nice lidded bowl Roger!

Roger Chandler
08-26-2012, 6:22 AM
Thanks Bernie.........and thanks, Kathy!

Jeff Bartley
08-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Roger,
I still have some chunks of Ash from the log I slabbed out, some may even have some figure. Hopefully we'll get a day here soon to cut up that big walnut crotch......I'll give ya a call this week! Jeff

Roger Chandler
08-26-2012, 4:14 PM
Roger,
I still have some chunks of Ash from the log I slabbed out, some may even have some figure. Hopefully we'll get a day here soon to cut up that big walnut crotch......I'll give ya a call this week! Jeff

Jeff..........I sent you an email........check your inbox! Thanks!

Rick Markham
08-26-2012, 9:26 PM
Very nice Roger, the lid matches and flows perfectly. I'd be tempted to trade the finial for a tidy little walnut knob with the top inlayed with some of the maple (It could even reflect the overall shape of the form), but that's just a personal opinion, nothing wrong with its' current design :)

Mike Cruz
08-26-2012, 9:33 PM
Neat concept, Roger. I've been thinking of doing a HF with two different kinds of wood, but wasn't sure how it would turn out. Now I know. Wheels are turning and I might be right on it! Thanks.

Oh, and that's pretty funny... I was looking at the pics (before reading the post) and thought, "My, that looks a lot like the walnut I have!". :D Guess it is, huh?

Roger Chandler
08-26-2012, 9:57 PM
Neat concept, Roger. I've been thinking of doing a HF with two different kinds of wood, but wasn't sure how it would turn out. Now I know. Wheels are turning and I might be right on it! Thanks.

Oh, and that's pretty funny... I was looking at the pics (before reading the post) and thought, "My, that looks a lot like the walnut I have!". :D Guess it is, huh?

Nothing slips by you Mike! ;):rolleyes: I wanted to say thanks, again, for the blanks you left with me that day......they keep calling me ..........I just have to figure out how I want to utilize them...........I have an 8" still that is a little flatter.........got to think of something neat for it.........thanks again!

Roger Chandler
08-27-2012, 3:03 PM
This is the Walnut bowl/ ambrosia maple lid that is now finished.............after sanding back and applying a few more coats of WTF........of course the walnut has better presence than the plain jane ambrosia lid........I am fairly happy with it, overall.

Mike Cruz
08-27-2012, 4:25 PM
Roger, overall, I like it. Did you apply the WTF while the piece was still on the lathe? I can see the streak marks from the WTF. When at Tony's this weekend, he had a piece that had similar "wipe" marks (though his was applied off the lathe). I simply gave it a good sanding with the roughest micromesh and it took the streaks out. He said he was planning on buffing it out next... I've noticed that a sanding with the roughest micro mesh after each third coat levels the finish off nicely, and the streaks are minimal if there at all. If you stretch it to every 5th coat, the streaks are harder to get "out". Just a thought.

Roger Chandler
08-27-2012, 4:39 PM
Roger, overall, I like it. Did you apply the WTF while the piece was still on the lathe? I can see the streak marks from the WTF. When at Tony's this weekend, he had a piece that had similar "wipe" marks (though his was applied off the lathe). I simply gave it a good sanding with the roughest micromesh and it took the streaks out. He said he was planning on buffing it out next... I've noticed that a sanding with the roughest micro mesh after each third coat levels the finish off nicely, and the streaks are minimal if there at all. If you stretch it to every 5th coat, the streaks are harder to get "out". Just a thought.

See.........I told you.......nothing gets past you, Mike! :D Yep, it was still on the lathe......my can of WTF is about 3/4 gone and it has thickened a bit due to evaporation of the dryers in it [my educated guess] so it does not flow as well as it did when the can was new........

I am thinking it is time to purchase another can of this stuff if my club will get it in for us, and of course perhaps thin what I have with just a bit of water? I have found that you get streaks no matter.....on the lathe or off..........I get a more even coat with the piece spinning slowly...........that is the reason I try to apply it on the lathe.

Mike Cruz
08-27-2012, 5:45 PM
I haven't tried it on the lathe yet. Someday, I might. I've found that a very small swatch that has been folded over once of blue paper towel (say, 2" x 2" finished dimensions) is less likely to leave streaks than if you use a larger piece. Also, thin thin thin coats. On my latest HF, I put 25 coats on while at Tony's (my back was sore, and didn't want to mess it up on the lathe, so I applied finish while the others turned). The amount of build up is about the same as about 2, maybe 3 light coats of poly. I'm going for a Keeton finish, so I think I'm going to take my time and go for 50 coats! We'll see what that looks like...

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-27-2012, 6:47 PM
Roger,
Have you ever tries paste filler on your walnut pieces. With a couple applications and careful sanding you can fill all the tiny grain holes that reflect light and lake a walnut finish unrewarding.
faust

Roger Chandler
08-27-2012, 7:20 PM
Roger,
Have you ever tries paste filler on your walnut pieces. With a couple applications and careful sanding you can fill all the tiny grain holes that reflect light and lake a walnut finish unrewarding.
faust

I have never done a project using grain filler, Faust..........I seem to be getting more walnut in the last year or so.............maybe it is something I need to explore...........thanks for the tip!

Rick Markham
08-27-2012, 7:36 PM
Roger, I've had better luck separating the WTF into two glass jars when I open the can, it stays fresher and minimizes the amount that seems to become uncooperative with time.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Roger,
You can buy grain filler in white, neutral or dark flavors. I buy the neutral and color it with universal tints. That gives you the ability to have some fun. I usually do a spritz coat of lacquer then the first fill. Another thin coat of lacquer will tell me if I want another grain fill application. One downside, if you leave any on the surface, it will turn white.
faust

Michelle Rich
08-28-2012, 4:56 AM
that finish is like glass!

Mike Cruz
08-28-2012, 6:54 AM
You could just skip all that mess, and just use the White Diamond step in buffing... That'll fill all those holes with a "beautiful" white filler. :D

Steve Busey
08-28-2012, 7:56 AM
I love the fusion of the walnut and the burl lid - might have to try one of those myself!

I spotted the streaks as well. There's only two things you can do about that - applying and sanding off the lathe (or without the motor on), or get a cheaper camera! :p

Roger Chandler
08-28-2012, 8:11 AM
You could just skip all that mess, and just use the White Diamond step in buffing... That'll fill all those holes with a "beautiful" white filler. :D

Shhhhush! ......Mike, you are not supposed to be giving away our finishing secrets! ;):rolleyes: