PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Neil A. Armstrong

Kevin Gregoire
08-25-2012, 5:18 PM
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died, He was 82.

the first man to walk on the moon, was born in Wapakoneta, Ohio, on August 5, 1930.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/images/content/167681main_armstrong_neil_150x200.jpg

Rest in peace you true Super Hero!!

Chuck Wintle
08-26-2012, 9:29 AM
RIP Neil Armstrong.

Joe Angrisani
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
What a role model!! At the forefront of one of mankind's greatest feats, yet he never wanted personal credit or glory.

Travel on, Commander.....

John alder
09-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I am proud to have worked at Grumman Aero Space where the landers (LM) were built.I was on the night shift the night he took that 1st step.

Ole Anderson
09-03-2012, 2:17 PM
Amazing person. Just after he passed I heard someone read the speech Nixon would have given had the return rocket failed to launch them off the moon. Now that really made you think of the consequences they were ready to accept. I am sure glad they fired correctly, it would not be good to look up at the moon, knowing that we have 3 astronauts stranded up there forever. RIP.

Peter Hawser
09-04-2012, 9:29 PM
I am proud to have worked at Grumman Aero Space where the landers (LM) were built.I was on the night shift the night he took that 1st step.

And you should be incredibly proud! You and your colleagues are awesome! I was only 7 years old, but that was one of the most amazing days of my life. I have been a space junkie for some time and read everything that comes out. I can think of at least three books I read covering the LEM and Grumman. One of the books was by Tom Kelly and was almost pure (and somewhat dry) engineering, but still I ate it up. If you ask me, software engineers and a lot of people working in technology could learn a boatload from you (and the people you worked with) about real project management. It's not sexy, but it is what got us to the moon. Sorry, I just had to say thanks (in a weird way).

On topic, I often found myself wondering what it would be like the day Neil Armstrong passed away. It was indeed very sad, but at the same time focused attention on a person of celebrity who was actually worth admiration and respect. I'll admit it, but to this day I get choked up watching those films of the first step. I think James Lovell once said of the Apollo 8 flight (paraphrased), "It was a bold decision, but that was a time when we weren't afraid to make bold decisions."

P.S. Any truth to the rumor about the list of Grumman techs/staff stowed away in the camera bay of Eagle? And if so, was your name on it? :-)