PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fence Upgrade Deal ?

Tom Hurlebaus
04-12-2005, 3:37 PM
Fellow Woodworkers,

Thanks for all the kind words regarding my recent Wedding Arbor pictures. The comments certainly meant allot coming from the talented artists on this forum.

I’m in the final stages of tuning-up my 25+ year old cMan TS and originally stumbled on your group while researching after market miter gauges. Outside of the dial indicator alignments, I felt the biggest improvement would be a new fence, but after basic research, couldn’t justify the $250 to $350 outlay. I had decided to just attempt tweaking my stock fence, but on an unrelated visit to Sears, inquired about after market fences and was shown what appeared to be a pretty good deal in their 2005-2006 Power and Hand Tools catalog.

I was going to wait until after I received the new fence system so that I could give everyone some type of preliminary review, but it’s a week past due for pick-up and I decided to just alert the forum members in case someone’s thinking about upgrading from stock.

It’s Sears Align-A-Rip XRC Fence System and provides 30” rip capacity to right and 24” to left. It was $280 in the 2004 catalog and is now $120 ($160 off).

I’ll provide a follow-up review after I receive, install and test ….

Along this same line … again trying to justify costs, I decided to also keep my stock miter gauge (until I run into another deal:), and I’m trying to determine the best material and idea for a miter fence. My first thought was MDF, but I read a recent article that suggested plywood with one of those T slot tracks. Also, I’ve noticed that most after market fences can slide to the right or left on the miter head (rather than how I had mine permanently fastened), which appears to be a handy feature. I’ll also probably build a sled or two for my typical 45/90 cuts.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks … Scroller Tom