PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Chucky

Peter Blair
08-25-2012, 9:47 AM
HI all.

I have recently received and set up my new Kobra (stealth gloat) and am in the process of learning how to make hollow forms. I really want on occasion to have a small, about 3/4" to 1" opening but when I want to reverse it on my rubber chucky I can't get the foot into the bowl.

Have any of you come up with any sort of an extension that I can put in the end of the chucky that would fit through a hole that size. I do see that there is a smaller chucky but wonder if it wouldn't be as easy to add some sort of smaller foot to the one I already have?

Roger Chandler
08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Turn a small one out of wood that will fit over the chucky rod...........glue a piece of 120 grit to the bottom and give enough tension on the tailstock to give it bite enough to drive the piece.......the rubber cone shape on the top should give some bite as well...........you can cut a little step into the cone of the chucky to match your opening diameter, but you will have to live with that size for the rest of the life of your chucky cone.......which can be replaced when necessary ....or you can turn a cone out of wood, the correct diameter, and thread it on the rod.

Good luck, Peter.

Don Doyle
11-09-2012, 3:53 PM
Peter,

This is a reply to the forum.

I telephoned Peter and have advised that the solution to his "problem" is the Mini Reverse Chucky. I also make a product (named the Chucklette by Dr. David Keller) that I include with the Mini Reverse Chucky (although it isn't shown on the site). It is a small drive that is mounted on an arbor and allows access to a vessel with a 1" and smaller opening.

Don Doyle
Rubber Chucky Products

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2012, 9:56 AM
Good to know Don.

David E Keller
11-10-2012, 1:26 PM
I use the chucklettes almost exclusively when using my mini reverse chucky... They do everything the traditional over fitting caps will do, but they allow for an even smaller opening on the form. Thanks for making such great products, Don!

Peter Blair
11-10-2012, 2:18 PM
Yes indeed. Don did call and not just once. He had to call three time until we actually got to speak to each other.
He was able to answer all my questions and offer solutions to any issues I had considered.
THAT is Service with a capital S!

Peter Fabricius
11-10-2012, 2:55 PM
Hi Peter;
Like Roger said, turn a dowel to the size of your HF opening. You can easily hold the dowel in a set of Spigot Jaws.
Glue a little disk of sand paper to the end going down into the HF. Shape a cone from Pine or any soft wood. Cut the cone in half on the band saw after drilling a hole the same size as the dowel (if you can go smaller in diameter of the hold in the HF, just make the dowel diameter smaller). Now, secure the two cone halves with two screws through the cone body. Wrap a little masking tape on the cone were it will touch the HF opening. Once the tailstock is holding the bottom up against the sandpaper on the dowel you can slide the cone into place and tighten the two screws.
You have just created a custom chucky at no cost and it is easy to make them to fit any HF opening.
I hope this is clear as mud... I usually try to make stuff like that since the commercial stuff is expensive and not available when close to where I live.
Good luck.
Peter F.

Peter Blair
11-10-2012, 3:02 PM
Thanks Peter. I have done this before when my Chucky was too big for the opening, but instead of splitting the cone I simply made a small clamp block that is cut partway (through) to a small hole, it is drilled and screwed to allow me to tighten it on a shaft. I gotta admit it's a clunky and not as accurate as my Chucky but for the little I use it I think it works ok.

Peter Fabricius
11-10-2012, 7:03 PM
Very nicely done Peter;
If you want it to run more true (grammar?), shorten the dowel and it should be a little more stable.
I see you have the Stronghold Spigot #1 Jaws just like mine.
looking forward to seeing your HFs.
Peter F.

Peter Blair
11-10-2012, 9:58 PM
Thanks Peter. I am still trying to decide if I should continue with this method or purchase the small Reverse Chucky or if I should make a better one from wood or metal. I have a couple of #2 Morse tapers that came with items from Beale and wonder if I should make some shafts that fit on them. At this point I feel pretty good about using my own but as my turning gets better I just may change my mind.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.