PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to Jim Adkins

Charles Drake
08-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Recently, I was asked by a local Christian college to make some sort of special gift for a retiring board member. In an effort to make something rather unique, I decided to turn a plate using many of the techniques which Jim Adkins described in his excellent "native American basket" tutorial which appeared here a while back. Using his beading, burning and coloring techniques, I made this plate which shows the four "pillars" of the school surrounding the center inlay which is the school's symbol (the front is shown below-the back is not since it contains some personal info). The plate is maple and about 12 inches in diameter. Comments, suggestions and criticisms are welcome-AND MANY THANKS, JIM!

Charlie239913

Steve Vaughan
08-25-2012, 9:40 AM
That's a fine looking plate there! Lots of work and one of these day's I'm gonna try something like that. But I don't understand the apology?

Allan Ferguson
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Nicely done.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
That is really a nice piece.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Very nice work Charles! Excellent job on the design! That had to take some effort to perfect! I am sure the retiree will love this! Thanks for sharing!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I think Jim will be proud of such a fine job inspired by his work. I'm also sure the recipient will treasure it.
faust

Marc Himes
08-25-2012, 9:05 PM
What a great piece! Looks like many hours but well worth it.

John Shuk
08-27-2012, 9:29 AM
That is really really nice!

Tim Rinehart
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Wonderful piece Charles. I see nothing you needed to apologize to Jim for...offer a 'thanks' perhaps, but you did his signature technique very well.

Jim Adkins
08-29-2012, 4:18 PM
Charles, I am very impressed by this nice piece. No apology needed at all. I am glad that you tried & succeeded in this
very worthwhile project. Hopefully the recipient will be very proud. You did good. If I can ever help please contact me.
Thanks for posting.