PDA

View Full Version : Only $30 for a "free" phone from Verizon

dennis thompson
08-25-2012, 7:23 AM
My granddaughter wanted to upgrade her phone,so I was looking over what was available & found a free (if you subscribe for 2 years), phone. However they charge an "upgrade fee" of $30! and still call it a "free" phone. I think this is deceptive ,if you are going to charge me $30 to get a new phone it's not free.
Dennis

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2012, 7:45 AM
I couldn't agree more.
It sounds like yet another example of the "loyal customer penalty" companies charge.

Free phone? Sure, if you're a new customer..oh wait, you've had our service for a few year? Nope, then we have to charge you.

Free HBO, Showtime, etc for three months? Sure, if you're a new customer...oh wait,,you've had Dish for four years. Sorry, you have to pay for it & BTW, we raised your rate also...

2.9% mortgage rate? You bet! Give that all day long to new customers...oh wait, you've been a customer for 12 years. Sorry, the best we can do is 3.9% and only after you twist our arms in a vice..

I've been beat over the head with this stuff for the last time.
I've decided that for just about everything, I'm going to be a "new customer" somewhere else whenever/wherever possible.
I'm tired of, basically getting shafted, because I'm a loyal customer.

Tell Verizon to shove off w/the upgrade charge and with the new two year contract.
Walk the 12 feet to the next cell phone kisok in the mall and see wht they offer to a new customer.

Jerome Stanek
08-25-2012, 8:08 AM
I think if you have to sign a contract then if is not free either.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2012, 9:05 AM
Every new device activated costs $30 whether you are a new customer or an existing customer.

Lee Schierer
08-25-2012, 3:00 PM
Every new device activated costs $30 whether you are a new customer or an existing customer.

Not always Matt. When we started our phones with Verizon, they waived the activation fees since we were new customers.......

Matt Meiser
08-25-2012, 3:14 PM
I don't think they do that anymore. Maybe occasionally as a special offer or something. It certainly wasn't available or negotiable when we switched. I gladly paid it to get off Sprint's failing network though.

Bryan Slimp
08-27-2012, 9:13 AM
Costco here has a 3rd party wireless kiosk that represents AT & T and Verizon here. If you get a phone there you don't pay an activation fee. I'm not sure if they have "free" phones, but you usually get a decent accessory pack.

John Shuk
08-27-2012, 9:18 AM
Costco here has a 3rd party wireless kiosk that represents AT & T and Verizon here. If you get a phone there you don't pay an activation fee. I'm not sure if they have "free" phones, but you usually get a decent accessory pack.
3rd party resellers are given a lump promotional budget for each line that they add that allows some latitude in applying to give you a discount. Sometimes 3rd party is the way to go.