PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Question

Steven Green
08-25-2012, 1:49 AM
Is there a way to mount a drying filter on the intake of a small Dewalt two tank compressor? I'd like to leave it on the first floor of my shop and pipe air to the second floor. As it stands now you must drain the tanks after every use or risk rust.

Ronald Blue
08-25-2012, 6:29 PM
Air Dryers typically are after the compressor but before the reservoir. I am unaware of any "pre-dryer" system but someone else might know better. An auto drain valve might be helpful. Just my .02 cents.

Lex Boegen
08-25-2012, 9:52 PM
I don't think that will work. I replaced the drain valve on my 20 gallon compressor with a street elbow, a six-inch nipple, and a brass ball valve. Now it's just a quarter-turn of the valve to drain my tank, and because the valve has been relocated from the bottom of the tank to the end of the nipple sticking out past the side of the tank, it's very easy to drain my tank now.

Chris Parks
08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Remove the drain valve and put a length of pipe or high pressure hose to a suitable spot you can reach and re-attach the valve to that. On the vertical rise to the next floor you will need a drain valve at the bottom of that riser. It too can be much longer and placed at a suitable height for draining. Another option might be to join the vertical riser drain to the tank drain and just have the one valve at the bottom of the riser. All this can be done with air hose, just protect it from any impact damage. I know someone will come on here and say use hard pipe but there is no gain and it just makes the job harder. The hose is pressure rated, it had better be as we all use it at the other end of the compressor!