PDA

View Full Version : undoing 100% tung oil on bass wood

Susanna Bergtold
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I sealed some small reliefs I carved from bass wood with 100% tung oil and they look blotchy and the grain is distractingly accentuated. Does anyone know if I can either somehow remove the oil or at least put something over it to make the wood coloring more uniform. I sealed the others in the series with matte acrylic, and they look much better -- not too plastic-y. I will not mind if I cannot make these tung oil ones as pale as the others; I just hope to make them more even in color so the carving is not overwhelmed.

Thanks for any advice.

Susanna Bergtold

Edward Dyas
11-14-2012, 9:24 AM
For anyone else still looking tung oil is like any other coating like varnish. The only way to get rid of it is with a paint and varnish remover. I don't think an oil finish is a good choice for basswood. It will go on yellow and continue to yellow the older it gets. If it were me I would use a cellous nitrate lacquer if you have the means of spraying or water based polyurethane if brushing. The drawback to using the water based poly is it raises the grain making the wood fuzzy so it will take multiple coats sanding between coats to get smooth. These finishes will go on clear and stay clear.

randall rosenthal
11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
i coat all my sculpture with water based poly mixed 50 - 50 with water. i use the outdoor variety because it has UV protection...which is important to me and i can paint over it with acrylics. two coats do it. i would try acetone to remove an oil finish. test with a small area to see what you get.