PDA

View Full Version : Is this a gloat

Dale Cruea
08-24-2012, 9:10 PM
Several weeks ago I pm'ed Stuart Tearney asking for some advice on water stones.
I had been looking to replace mine as they were getting worn.
Also I kept thinking my tools do not appear to be as sharp as others have been talking about.
I could shave hair on my arm however, when I tried the paper cutting test one member suggested my tools fell a little short.
They would cut paper after I messed around with getting the paper rigid and wiggling the tool a little. The cut was not very clean.

Several days ago my new stones arrived.
I spent 1 1/2 days getting used to the new stones because they did not act or feel like my old stones. No messy slurry as I was stoning. No real polish. Just was not the same.
Then I got the hang of it. Push a little on the stones and let them cut.
Very slight dishing. Compared to my old stones no dishing at all.
The set Stuart sent had a Atoma 400 plate in it. Vast improvement over my Diaflat 320 grit. Light weight and cuts fast. Leaves the surface of the stone much smother.

The set also has a stone holder tray that is great. It holds the stones very securely and keeps my sharpening bench clean. All the gunk is caught in the tray.

I got 3 stones. A 1000 hard, a 6000 harder and a 13000.
Nice stones.
If you are sharpening and not trying to flatten a back they cut pretty fast. Backs take a little longer. I am getting ready to order a 400 for backs and repair work.

I now understand what sharp really is. Not just kinda sharp like I had been getting.
I can not shave hair from the back of my hand anymore because I cut my hand. It is like shaving with a razor blade.
I can hold a full sheet of paper and cut it in two starting 2" from my hand without wiggling the iron or paper. Just slide the edge across the paper and push.

Just a note and a thank you to Stuart for his help.

BTW.... can I call this a gloat.... I got something new...

george wilson
08-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Yes,you have to bear down. I taught many people in Williamsburg's shops how to sharpen. Eventually I discovered that those who couldn't get their tools sharp on the same stones I instructed them on,were not bearing down hard enough to make the stone cut the steel.

Archie England
08-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Yep! I'd call that a gloat!!!!

Congratulations on a great set of stones (that what I bought, too).

Before you purchase the Sigma 400, look carefully at the Suehiro 320. Stu has posted that it might be a better stone. I do know that the 400 is a beast to flatten and will wear down the Atoma 400 much faster than normal. Look first. Otherwise, enjoy :)

Dale Cruea
08-25-2012, 1:25 PM
Thanks Archie, I asked Stuart about flattening with my Atoma. He said the stone came with flattening grit. I am waiting for his response.
I will go check out the 320.

Jim Matthews
08-25-2012, 3:07 PM
I use sand paper over a granite base for rough grinding (400 grit and less).

A piece of thicker tempered glass will do, but I found a sink cutout from a local countertop installer for the price of a 6-pack.
Have a look at Deneb Puchalski's videos for Lie Nielsen - that's how I grind a profiled blade.

Rougher stuff can be whipped into shape quickly with a belt sander and a light touch.

(I don't like using machines, I file blades to the desired profile, then use the sandpaper.)

jim
wpt, ma