PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Iles mortise chisels

Ed Hardin
04-12-2005, 2:43 PM
I really like the eliptical handle Ashley Ilses mortise chisels. Where does one buy the exotic beast. I called myself checking out the Ashely Iles Web Site but no go. They were on here the other day but can't find that either. Obviously, I am a very poor internet driver. Help please!

Joel Moskowitz
04-12-2005, 2:46 PM
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/indextool.mvc?prodid=MS-MORT.XX

Dick Latshaw
04-12-2005, 2:48 PM
Try the Tools for Woodworking site.

Dick Latshaw
04-12-2005, 2:52 PM
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/indextool.mvc?prodid=MS-MORT.XX

Wow Joel - that was quick. Beat me by a couple of minutes. Poll: Does Joel have a bot watching for mention of products he has? :)

Ed Hardin
04-12-2005, 3:13 PM
Wow Joel - that was quick. Beat me by a couple of minutes. Poll: Does Joel have a bot watching for mention of products he has? :)

Thanks fellas: No wonder I couldn't find it under "Ashley Iles" It's Ray Iles. I will buy one or all.

Bob Smalser
04-12-2005, 3:24 PM
Do they hand hone on common stones?

Interesting....they're of D2 diemaker's steel.

Over twice the chromium of M2 lathe tools, which is just about impossible to hand hone without diamond paste.

Joel Moskowitz
04-12-2005, 4:13 PM
I've never noticed any issues. Ray Iles makes almost all his blades out of D2. His infill plane has D2 blades. I routinely sharpen them on oilstones with no problem. I do hollow grind and certainly with a flat grind you notice the material is hard but not anymore so than A2.
Ray puts the D2 between A2 and High Speed in wear and tear but much closer to A2 than HSS overall.

Bob Smalser
04-12-2005, 5:02 PM
Thanks, Joel....never used D2 that I know of.

Chris Thompson
04-17-2005, 8:09 PM
Aaaand, they're gone. All are listed out of stock.

So which one of you bought them all up?

And, moreover, when will they be back?

Alan Turner
04-17-2005, 8:25 PM
Chris,
I think they are new, on order, and have not yet arrived.