PDA

View Full Version : Winged bowl

Les Williams
08-24-2012, 1:36 PM
Well i had a bit of seasoned ash left over from this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190705-Happysad-bowl and this is what i came up with:-

TBH i never expected it to work but it did.
Ok here we go;- some chipping on the edge, very poor bottom (felt a bit pushed for time by the end - should have left it), tear out on the outer wings and finally, the base shows all the proof of 2 catches - one on the outer rim (wingtip) and one with a scraper inside. Need to sort out my optimum diameter thingy.
I watch youtube videos and try to put thing into practice and make shavings and mistakes, but i do feel that i am learning and that's the point, isn't it?

Feel free to critique, it will help me to learn!

Les

Rick Markham
08-24-2012, 2:23 PM
Les, this is a cool bowl. It also looks like you've gotten better about preventing the tearout on the inside. This one looks like a happy bowl to me. Keep at it, you are definitely improving!

edited to add: what helped me prevent catches on the inside rim, is to really take my time with a freshly sharpened gouge on my finish cut. It's important to let the cutting edge form a shoulder for your bevel to rest on in the beginning of the cut, once a tiny shoulder is formed you can ride the bevel all the way inside the bowl ;) (a lot of practice helps too)

Scott Lux
08-24-2012, 3:11 PM
I like this piece. It's a brave shape to try early in the vortex.
You've pointed out the flaws, and it sounds like you're on your way to correcting the mistakes next time.

Nice job.

Les Williams
08-24-2012, 3:14 PM
Les, this is a cool bowl. It also looks like you've gotten better about preventing the tearout on the inside. This one looks like a happy bowl to me. Keep at it, you are definitely improving!

edited to add: what helped me prevent catches on the inside rim, is to really take my time with a freshly sharpened gouge on my finish cut. It's important to let the cutting edge form a shoulder for your bevel to rest on in the beginning of the cut, once a tiny shoulder is formed you can ride the bevel all the way inside the bowl ;) (a lot of practice helps too)

Cheers Rick, "It's important to let the cutting edge form a shoulder for your bevel to rest on" I found the truth of that today with the OH! SWEEEEEET! moment that was the difference between knowing and doing.
However to clarify, my catch on the inside was with a big flat scraper made out of a file (came with the lathe) looks like this 239839I think a bit of grinder time is needed on it, it has a bur but an inconsistent bevel.

Thank for the coment
Les

Les Williams
08-24-2012, 3:53 PM
I like this piece. It's a brave shape to try early in the vortex.
You've pointed out the flaws, and it sounds like you're on your way to correcting the mistakes next time.

Nice job.

Cheers Scott, in for a penny in for a pound.

Jay Jolliffe
08-24-2012, 5:56 PM
Nice job for your first one. I'm still working on small bowls until I dare try what you did. How big was the piece of wood when you started....

Les Williams
08-24-2012, 6:46 PM
Nice job for your first one. I'm still working on small bowls until I dare try what you did. How big was the piece of wood when you started....

Thanks Jay, it was 6" x 4 1/4" x 2 1/2" so it's only small, it's in my hand in the first pic'. I have to say it scared the bejeezus out of me at first but once you start you begin to 'see' the form and then it's 'just' a bowl. Jump in and try, i picked a good one to start - Ash - hard as hell to sand - DON'T FORGET about the wings - I had two warnings! next time it's gonna hurt.

Go For It
Les

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2012, 9:50 PM
That is a cool bowl Les. I like it. First thing I would do though is throw out that file used as a scraper. If you get a catch and it breaks it will shatter because it is so brittle. When I started turning I made a couple on the advice of a old man here in town. Worked fine for a while until I had my first catch. 8 stitches later after a catch I bought a HSS steel scraper. Be careful and be safe.

Harry Robinette
08-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Les
Not bad at all its really pretty nice.For the future you need to grind the heel of your gouge down so it won't hit the bottom and leave the ring you have in this one.
Like I said just for future reference on the gouge, your work is looking better.

Marc Himes
08-25-2012, 9:03 PM
It took me years before attempting a winged bowl. Keep on keepin on. Good advise about the file.