PDA

View Full Version : HELP 3/4 Plywood vs MDF for this project

Floyd Cox
08-24-2012, 5:55 AM
I need some input, My daughter want me to make this for the new baby room, she wants it painted.
If you were building it would you use cabinet plywood or MDF scene it is only going to be panted?

Thanks;
Floyd

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2012, 7:41 AM
I'd use plywood.
I just don't like MDF...

Von Bickley
08-24-2012, 7:45 AM
I would use birch plywood for the case, and poplar for the face-frame.

I don't use particle board, MDF, compressed cardboard, etc...........

Floyd Cox
08-24-2012, 8:16 AM
I'd use plywood.
I just don't like MDF...

Thank you for the input. I had a gut feeling about not using MDF but just want to get someone’s opinion.

Jeff Duncan
08-24-2012, 9:49 AM
I'd also use plywood. MDF is great when you need really flat....like slab doors for instance. It's holding power without using confirmats or similar type screws is questionable though. So I stick with plywood for carcasses whenever possible.

good luck,
JeffD

Cary Falk
08-24-2012, 9:57 AM
Plywood. I don't like MDF for most things.

Kenneth Speed
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I think you and your family will be better served if you use plywood; MDF isn't strong enough to handle the moving and wear and tear a young family is likely to put a piece of furniture through. Now it's a cabinet for baby linens but in the future it may be shelving for toys and then later perhaps a bookcase or laundry room cabinet.

Ken

Michael W. Clark
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I think it comes down to personal preference. As you know the plywood is going to be stronger and hold up better against wear and tear. It would definitely be an upgrade from MDF in those terms. However, I wouldn't say that MDF is a bad choice for your application. I would bet that the piece in the picture is built out of MDF, as is a lot of kids furniture. We have a 5 year old and most of the furniture in the "high end" kids stores is MDF or particle board. If you did MDF carcasses, I would still opt for solid wood (poplar) face frames and a 1/4" plywood back. We had some MDF cabinets at work that one of my co-workers built on a budget and we stored all kinds of tools, drills, and instruments in them and never had a problem. Sure, they showed some wear and tear, but were mechanically sound. Anything a kid plays with is going to show use, adds to the aesthetics of the piece.:) I tell my wife that I never knew that a 5-year old could be as destructive as a sledge-hammer!

Mike Cutler
08-24-2012, 7:24 PM
In all honesty, my first choice is plywood only because I hate to work with MDF. MDF however would work for that type of project.
MDF comes in various densities for a given sheet and it really becomes a matter of picking the correct density MDF. 3/4", 4'x8' sheets of MDF can range up to over 100lbs per sheet. MDF can also be extremely strong in the vertical plane and depending on the density and the span of the shelves suitable for smaller shelves, or reinforced if longer. Dado three sides of an MDF shelf and place a hardwood strip, or face frame to them and they'll last.
Absent of a high humidity environment, either material would be suitable.

Sam Murdoch
08-24-2012, 10:58 PM
What they said. Mdf has its place (panels for paint grade doors or wainscot) but as a construction material plywood with wood edges is forever - holds screws and glue and with proper prep it paints very nicely. In many respects plywood is an easier material to work with and certainly more durable.

Myk Rian
08-25-2012, 8:43 AM
Particle board might be a choice, but not MDF.
Still, ply would last for generations.
Consider plastic laminate instead of paint.

Michael W. Clark
08-25-2012, 9:26 AM
Steel plate paints good too and would last for generations.

Myk Rian
08-25-2012, 9:35 AM
:) Yep......

John Loftis
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
The plywood versus MDF debate has been going on for a long time. I'd love to see FWW or someone else do a scientific/objective comparison of high grade (eg Plum Creek) MDF versus high grade (eg not Chinese) plywood. My initial reaction was a +1 to Mike Cutler above.

I'm working on a casegoods project right now and I bought 6 sheets of A1 walnut plywood at $110 per sheet. The stuff is not what I'd expect for the price, structurally or aesthetically, though it was the top of the line stuff according to my hardwood supplier. I'd really like to make the switch to MDF core, but I'm nervous about doing it. I don't know if my fears/concerns are justified, though.

Howard Acheson
08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I would use birch plywood with poplar edging to give you a nice appearance. Both the birch and the poplar will give you a nice paintable surface.

scott vroom
08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
We use 3/4" domestic C-2 maple ply for our paint grade cabinets. Cost in my area is ~$45-50/sheet for high quality domestic. Would avoid MDF, too heavy and nasty dust.

Wayne Jolly
08-25-2012, 3:18 PM

I don't think even steel plate would be safe from boys when they get to be maybe 10 and up.

Wayne

George Gyulatyan
08-27-2012, 1:55 AM
I'd say from structural standpoint (taken into consideration the peculiarities of each material) it would be a wash.

However, I'd throw this out there for consideration as well... since this is going into a baby's room, I'd be concerned about formaldehyde emissions, even after finishing. So, I'd go for non-urea formaldehyde plywood, something like Columbia Forest Products' PureBond based plywoods.

http://columbiaforestproducts.com/PureBond

Chris Friesen
08-29-2012, 6:37 PM
While MDF would probably work just fine for that purpose, I'd suggest going with a formaldehyde-free variety.

Michael W. Clark
08-29-2012, 7:14 PM
I don't think even steel plate would be safe from boys when they get to be maybe 10 and up.

Wayne

Absolutely, kids can tear up a steel ball with a plastic hammer.:)

Michael W. Clark
08-29-2012, 7:16 PM
I would use birch plywood with poplar edging to give you a nice appearance. Both the birch and the poplar will give you a nice paintable surface.

This is the route I would go if it is your gift to her for the Baby's room. If the piece is going to be utilitarian and possibly disposed of or no longer used in a few years, then MDF would be a consideration. If you are worried about the chemicals, then check all the trim and molding in the house too. Most of that now is MDF pre-primed. I would seal it with something before painting anyway.

rick carpenter
09-04-2012, 11:10 PM
If kept long enough, it will be climbed upon. So, I'd say furniture grade ply.

Richard Wagner
09-06-2012, 7:52 AM
Building with MDF may challenge your construction methods but if built right it would last as long as anything built with plywood UNLESS it gets really wet. Its susceptibility to standing water and the fine dust that it creates during construction are IMO the negative factors of MDF. Oh yeah, and it will be heavy.

Rich Engelhardt
09-06-2012, 8:11 AM
the fine dust that it creates during construction are IMO the negative factors of MDF
That's plenty of reason in itself.
This building "stuff" thingie we all do is supposed to be fun,,,,,not an annoyance.

W/the way things are going in the world these days, there's no shortage of annoying things......why add to them?