PDA

View Full Version : I have a bright idea!!

Michael Ginsberg
08-23-2012, 7:43 PM
I cannot try my idea out because I am setting up a new shop...
But here it goes... I just bought for a different non-woodturning project, a Ryobi LED flexible inspection scope. How would it work out if I attached the lighted camera on the end of a hollowing rig to see what is going on while cutting. The flex shaft is three feet long so I think the camera can get mounted on top of the hollowing rig to view while cutting. That is my bright idea..

What do you think??

Steve Vaughan
08-23-2012, 8:05 PM
Sounds like a great bright idea! But, and I'm speculating here, I think you're gonna have way too much dust and chips and speed to really see anything going on. But, it does sound like something helpful once you stop and blow all the shavings out. If you've got a small opening, you'd be able to get in there and see the ridges or whatever you need to take care of.

Marty Eargle
08-23-2012, 8:06 PM
Sounds like a great way to break a new camera. ;)

Hey...but you'll never know unless you try it!

Dale Bright
08-23-2012, 8:21 PM
I saw some video of a guy trying an inspection camera while hollowing, about a year ago. Like, Steve said, there was way too much dust and shavings to see anything while hollowing. Using it off of the tool was very nice for seeing the inside.

Dale

Michael Ginsberg
08-23-2012, 8:30 PM
Ok... so maybe the lathe in the "off " position!!

Sid Matheny
08-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Might be good to use it as an inspection scope when you are not turning but just want to have a good look inside.

Sid