PDA

View Full Version : Good practice

Carole Valentine
04-12-2005, 1:12 PM
Turned this last night and found this style of bowl to be really good for practicing control of the gouge on flowing curves! The wood (Maple) is sort of ugly though!:(
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/mbfront1_opt.jpg
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/mbbottom1_opt.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
04-12-2005, 1:23 PM
It sure looks to be great practice! The curves are VERY fluid!!

Steve Knowlton
04-12-2005, 1:57 PM
Carole, I Like The Design. Wood Is Plain But That Is What Some People Like. Keep Up The Good Work.

Ted Shrader
04-12-2005, 2:22 PM
Carole -

The lines are very good. My wife has the same critical eye you do and can produce flowing pieces with ease.

Well done,
Ted

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-12-2005, 2:45 PM
Carole, your "Practice" is beautiful. The Maple has some nteresting figuring, too. NMot UGLY to my eye.

Bruce

Raymond Overman
04-12-2005, 3:02 PM
That's a very good practice piece Carole. Looks like you've got a lot of control with the gouge and I really like the curve on the outside of the bowl.

Ernie Nyvall
04-12-2005, 7:54 PM
Since that's just practice and all ugly and everything, send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. lol
You did a real nice job on those curves.

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
04-12-2005, 8:17 PM
Carol: Very nice work with the gouge! I think the wood has character to it as well. Keep it up!

Ed

Carole Valentine
04-12-2005, 8:28 PM
That's a very good practice piece Carole. Looks like you've got a lot of control with the gouge and I really like the curve on the outside of the bowl.
Thanks, Guys. The real practice was making the curves on the inside match the outside! I had been having trouble with that. It's fairly close except I got it a little thin in one spot. You can see it if help up to the light. Just turned another bowl tonight and got it to a consistent thickness thru all the curves, finally!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Maple always looks good to me and the shape of this bowl is good. Fancy enough to look good and useful at the same time.