PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a slider?

Biff Johnson
08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I tried using the search tool to answer my question but didn't really get the answers I needed.

I recently purchased a used Makita 10" sliding miter saw. My current saw sits in a bench bordering the wall. Of course the problem is the required depth for the slider. How have you folks who own a slider dealt with this?

I would rather not build another bench to take up shop space. I suppose I could do a bump out into the carport or widen the top of the exisiting miter bench by a foot. Just looking for ideas and photos of your set up?

scott vroom
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I put my Bosch slider on a Bosch gravity folding stand with wheels for quick storage when not in use.

Jim Neeley
08-23-2012, 3:56 PM
+1 on Bosch gravity stand (and Bosch glide). The stand has collapsing extension arms that permit it to trim the end of an 8' board without additional support. I do have planned a permanent DC connection but it will be designed to permit me to easily remove the glide, should I need it elsewhere.

Jim

David Hostetler
08-23-2012, 4:55 PM
I built a new bench / cabinet, with a 32" deep top to accomodate my 12" slider. But then again, it was built just as much to narrow my existing bench down so that I can shove an upright freezer next to it and forward enough that stock would clear the freezer when being cut on the miter saw... (A deal I swung with my wife to get a sub panel and circuits run to the shop.)

I designed and built the bench such that it includes large cavities for housing my boxed handheld power tools, drawers for my router and table saw accessories, storage for canned supplies, lined up even with the fence my mortiser, and stashed neatly in a nook created on the back side of the thing, my 29 gallon air compressor. I still have to build the drawers for the table saw / router stuff, and the dust hood for the miter saw. But I suspect this will work fantastically when I am done with it all...

I initially just built a bump out sort of thing to allow the miter saw to work on the existing bench. It was crude, and ugly, but it worked. I could clamp a board anywhere along the front rail of the original bench to act as a stop. Worked fine-ish...