PDA

View Full Version : Need attachment for shop vac

Mike Henderson
08-22-2012, 10:22 PM
I hook my shop vac to my sander. I'd like to be able to control the amount of suction. One way would be to put a speed control on the shop vac (those router speed control devices) but a simple way would be to have an adjustable bleed on the hose. Do you know of anyone who sells such a thing?

I visualize it as a device with a rotating cuff, so that when you rotate the cuff, you expose or close a hole. I've seen home vacuum systems that had such things so that you could reduce the suction when vacuuming delicate things (like a lamp shade).

Mike

Andrew Howe
08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I think you should consider.a.variable speed control at harbor freight

Clint Baxter
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
The Fein DW1 wet/dry clean up kit has a hand piece that allows the type bleeding you're talking about. Have two of them and dont use either one since the newer Fein vacs come with adjustable suction.

Can buy it separately from CPO Fein, part # 921067A13. Model # FENN921067A13

Clint

Mike Henderson
08-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I think you should consider.a.variable speed control at harbor freight

Just a question, Andrew. Why would you prefer a variable speed control over a air bleed system? About the only advantage I can see is lower noise from the vac.

Mike

Matt Meiser
08-23-2012, 7:52 AM
You could make one from a piece of PVC pipe and a matching PVC coupling. Use the coupling to make the rotating part and drill a hole in the pipe.

Ironically, Festool's cleaning kit, at least the one I have, has what you talk about on the handle but the vacs all have variable speed.

Michael W. Clark
08-23-2012, 8:28 AM
You could make one from a piece of PVC pipe and a matching PVC coupling. Use the coupling to make the rotating part and drill a hole in the pipe.

Ironically, Festool's cleaning kit, at least the one I have, has what you talk about on the handle but the vacs all have variable speed.

+1, I have this one from Festool http://www.festoolusa.com/products/dust-extractors/tubes-curved/dust-extractor-tube-curved-polypropylene-452901.html

If you go the PVC route, drill a hole (or two) through the pipe and the coupling. As the coupling is rotated and the alignment of the holes changes, the amount of bleed air will vary.

Whether you need a variable speed or just a bleed depends on how much you need to reduce the flow. The varible speed will likely give you more flow reduction, but if the bleed gets you there, then it is simpler.

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM

That's a great idea, Matt. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that" ideas. Thanks!

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
08-23-2012, 5:40 PM
The Red Green version............

A series of 1/2" holes, and some Famous Duct Tape. Your choice of colors.

I am widely known for over-designing stuff, but there are times where I look for the intersection of functionality and frequency.

Just sayin.................

Michael W. Clark
08-23-2012, 9:15 PM
The bleed is referred to as a register collar. We use them a lot in industrial DC systems where you want control the CFM at the hood an maintain duct velocity downstream. We've used the rotating collar with holes and also sliding collars that move to reveal more (or less) expanded metal.