PDA

View Full Version : OG Glaser Tools?

Mike Stephens
08-22-2012, 7:08 PM
I recently acquired 2 tools from an eBay auction. I am assuming they are Jerry's tool but how do I know for sure.

I have included a couple pics. They are cell pics. The camera found its way into a friends pool. :o
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/b0bba964a7511cd7e19579efadbd52aa.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/2a1845c3a03cd339b065b8cb51c53dfa.jpg

Mike Stephens
08-22-2012, 7:09 PM
I forgot to add that they have never been used. :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-22-2012, 7:48 PM
You are correct. They are Jerry's tools and I would believe they are a number of years old. I have never worked with the hollowing tool but I saw it used in a John Jordon DVD. He was showing various hollowing tools. I may be wrong,but I think the DVD dated back to the 90's. I also think the hollowing tool was shown with an auxiliary handle to counteract the torque from the articulating head. I am not familiar with the gouge. It does not appear to match the current flute design but still looks interesting. If nothing else, you own one a bit of woodturning history and two of the finest handles available. Good find.
faust

Mike Stephens
08-22-2012, 8:37 PM
You are correct. They are Jerry's tools and I would believe they are a number of years old. I have never worked with the hollowing tool but I saw it used in a John Jordon DVD. He was showing various hollowing tools. I may be wrong,but I think the DVD dated back to the 90's. I also think the hollowing tool was shown with an auxiliary handle to counteract the torque from the articulating head. I am not familiar with the gouge. It does not appear to match the current flute design but still looks interesting. If nothing else, you own one a bit of woodturning history and two of the finest handles available. Good find.
faust

Th handles seem very comfortable. Yet I'm not crazy about how the tools are glued in. I prefer set screws. Has anyone every taken the tool out and drilled / tapped screws? Would this be sacrilegious?

Bruce Markwardt
08-22-2012, 9:34 PM
I have that hollowing tool. Definitely a Glaser. Mid 90's vintage. I haven't used mine much, so I can't comment on its performance.

Mike Stephens
08-22-2012, 9:42 PM
I have that hollowing tool. Definitely a Glaser. Mid 90's vintage. I haven't used mine much, so I can't comment on its performance.

Thanks for the reply. Did yours come with the auxiliary handle? ( small side handle )

rick pixley01
08-22-2012, 9:56 PM
yes that would be sacrilegious..Have fun

Mike Stephens
08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
yes that would be sacrilegious..Have fun

Dam. Your no fun. :D

Bruce Markwardt
08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes, I have the small side handle.

The weird thing is that I got the thing so long ago that I don't remember where or why.

I also have a Glaser bowl gouge and it is probably my favorite. I love the weight and it stays sharp.