PDA

View Full Version : The Adkins Project

Scott Hackler
08-22-2012, 1:40 PM
Last year (2011), my friend Jim Adkins gifted me a very large block of redwood. Somewhere around 10" cubed. Even through the chainsaw marks, you could faintly make out the distinctive appearance of figure. This block felt dry and I knew that someday I would turn it and I wouldn't have to worry about roughing and re-turning.

Now comes the stress. Time after time I would stare at this block and think " I would really like to turn this, but don't want to mess it up." And time after time I passed, afraid of ruining this giant block of a wood that is super rare in Kansas. Plus I wanted to "do it justice" and turn the largest form I could out of the blank.

Forward to last week and as I was trying to get some projects finished up for SWAT in Waco, my wife said I should make something out of the wood Jim gave me. More stress! So I picked it up .....again....and off to the band saw to square it up. I needed to slice 1" off one side and after I committed, MORE STRESS....as the figure was revealed. Little eyes and figure everywhere! This was a block of redwood BURL!!! So on to the lathe and I just decided to go for it. Here is the end result. I am very pleased on several accounts. 1st, that I didn't destroy it and 2nd that this is my largest hollow form to date.

Anyone going to SWAT, can see this one in person. Hope Jim approves!!

7 1/2" wide x 7" tall. 7/8" hole, a little less than 1/4" thick. 4 coats of tung oil finish, 5 coats of WOP, beal buffed and Ren wax.

Comments and critiques welcome, thanks.

Dennis Ford
08-22-2012, 1:52 PM
Beautiful work, the wood is not bad either. The form is well done and the finish is excellent. I really like this piece and will be looking closely at SWAT.

Roger Chandler
08-22-2012, 1:55 PM
Sweet curve on this Scott........and I like your smallish opening.......the grain figure running diagonally is nice and of course who would not like the eyes on it as well.....good use of a nice piece of wood............I think Jim would approve!

Rick Markham
08-22-2012, 2:49 PM
Very nice Scott, the curve is superb on this one, as is the figure. I would definitely say that you did it justice. I have a few big chunks of stuff that I haven't touched because I don't want to "screw it up." Every once in awhile I will grab one and give it a go. (the stress of it helps keep me from making dumb mistakes) You did a wonderful job on this!

steven carter
08-22-2012, 3:09 PM
Scott, I can't imagine anyone would not like this hollow form, it is beautiful. Probably hard to do it justice with a photo, I'm sure it looks even better in person.

Allan Ferguson
08-22-2012, 5:14 PM
I have a big piece of redwood but I do not expect it to compare to this one of yours. Really nice all around.

Chris Studley
08-22-2012, 6:05 PM
Very Nice Scott...

I Like it, great form, and wood. Good to see more beautiful work getting posted lately...

Jim Burr
08-22-2012, 7:45 PM
Ya done good Scott! You orientated it beautifully and the finish is amazing!!

Harry Robinette
08-22-2012, 7:54 PM
Scott
I won't be at SWAT so I put the pictures on my 55" HD TV and man did you do that chunk of wood JUSTICE.The curve is the next thing to total perfection.
I don't think you could do anything to make it better. The finish from what I can see on the big screen is perfection I can not see a mark anywhere on any of the pictures,You did real good. I think this is going to have allot of pictures taken at SWAT.

James Roberts
08-22-2012, 8:53 PM
"...afraid of ruining this giant block of wood..." "...More stress..."

Glad to see you got that out of your system Scott, what a sweet piece. You have indeed done justice to a great chuck of wood. Love the form and finish, only wish I could see it in person.

Rich Aldrich
08-22-2012, 8:57 PM
Scott - really nice work. The wood is awesome. I have a hollowing system that I bought in January and havent used it yet - no time. As of next week, I will have a lot more time at home, I wont be on the road anymore.

Mike Cruz
08-22-2012, 9:20 PM
How could Jim not approve? Other than the fact that you didn't bead and burn it?;) I think you nailed it, Scott. I'm sure Jim's hands'll be all over it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow Scott that is a beautiful piece and wood. He definitely would approve.

Kathy Marshall
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Beautiful piece Scott! The form and the wood are both awesome and I'm sure it will get alot of attention at SWAT!

Scott Hackler
08-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks folks. Gonna pack up the stuff now and and leave for Texas in the morning. We'll be in Waco Friday morning!

Jon Nuckles
08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
You work well under stress, Scott. Beautiful form and wood. Can't imagine hollowing something that size through a 7/8" hole!

Scott Hackler
08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jon. 7/8" is giant compared to the 1/2" or 3/4" I do for my palm sized HFs! I wanted a small opening but knew that I wanted to try and use my Carter Hollow Roller rig and it has a 3/4" bar. I am unable to hollow the shoulders with the rig so I hand hollowed the top half with my new Trent Bosch 1/2" set. I have to say that his straight hollower is great. Now the goose neck and I had words a couple times and I realized now that it is a "feel" type tool. Going full tilt with that one and I would have snapped the form (and likely my wrist!).

Ed Morgano
08-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Beautiful job Scott. Jim will be proud.

Michelle Rich
08-23-2012, 6:55 AM
OOOOOOHHHHHH now this is WONDERFUL..

Doug W Swanson
08-23-2012, 9:20 AM
I can't imagine anyone disapproving of this. It's beautiful, Scott! Form, color, etc it's got it all!

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2012, 9:24 AM
Beautiful!! Have a safe and fun trip Scott!

Marc Himes
08-25-2012, 9:12 PM
Excellent work! Just beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

Kelvin Burton
08-27-2012, 1:49 PM
Scott, it looked even better in person! Hope your trip home is going well!

Jim Adkins
08-29-2012, 4:11 PM
Oh Yeah Scott, I definitely approve of the great job you did on this one. I did see it in Waco and it is perfect.
Thanks for all the help in Waco, that goes for "Yo" also, be sure and tell her.