PDA

View Full Version : I need a backup for my epilog laser mini 24 30 watts

ram munukur
08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Hello Guys,

I am new to engraving and this forum. I have a Epilog Mini 24 30 watts and very happy with the same. I do lots of vector cutting and engraving on MDF and plywood. I want to buy a laser engraver as back up and maybe when i have a big order, run both simultaneously. Recently i happened to see a Trotec speedy 300 working and i am very impressed at the built quality and job control. After reading different threads, i am under the impression that Trotec's are expensive compared to Epilog laser. But i just received a quote from the Trotec dealer in Mexico for a speedy 100 30 watts and its cheaper than epilog mini24 30 watts.

Now, do i buy another Epilog mini or take my chances with Trotec and go throught the learning curve and deal with two different vendors or just stick with epilog vendor.

Is there an advantage in having two of the same kind?

Michael Hunter
08-22-2012, 1:01 PM
Someone posted a long time ago that the Epilog Mini had better features than the Speedy 100.
Also, do you get Job Control with the Speedy 100, or is it an extra?
You need to check these things out before making a decision.

There are obvious advantages in having two machines the same, but the Trotecs are very good and, as you have found, are now cheaper than their Epilog equivalents.

My Epilog is getting old and I will probably go Trotec when the time comes and keep the Epilog going for dirty jobs.

Scott Shepherd
08-22-2012, 2:05 PM
The Speedy 100 comes with Job Control. There are 3 levels of the software, I believe the 100 comes with the Advanced version, not the basic, which is what the Rayjet comes with standard, I believe.

I can't think of a single feature on the Epilog that isn't on the Speedy, so I don't know what that's about. I do know that the Speedy 100 has a programmable Z-Axis and the Epilog does not.

I've said about 100 times now, if I had to buy a laser now, I'd never buy a laser that didn't have Job Control or a Programmable Z-Axis.

That's my opinion.

Mark Sipes
08-22-2012, 2:58 PM
Is there an import tax/duty when bringing an item into the US......from Mexico ( NAFTA and all ? )

Mike Null
08-22-2012, 3:18 PM
My Trotec is in it's 7th year with zero downtime. Guess what I'll buy the next time.

ram munukur
08-22-2012, 3:50 PM
Okay. Scott. I am just trying to make a list of Trotec features that not on Epliog.

1. Air flushed optics
2. Read the exact position of the processing head on a crosshair on your computer
3. Monitor the progress of your laser job on your computer
4. Change and clean focus lenses instantly
5. In-pack technology for dust protection
6. Job control advanced
7. Software auto focus
8. Auto focus with sensors

ram munukur
08-22-2012, 3:53 PM
Job control advanced is included in my quote

ram munukur
08-22-2012, 3:55 PM
There is no duty for items made in Canada, mexico or USA. But trotec is not made in either. Its made in Austria i guess.

Scott Shepherd
08-22-2012, 4:17 PM
Ray, without knowing your business and/or needs, I can't be sure this matters, but it's one thing I love about job control machines, specifically, the Trotec is that it works like......well, let me go backwards.

Without job control, you send a job to the laser and it's done. Not much you can do with the file once it's sent. Let's say you do a lot of jobs, all from the same type of material, but different jobs. Imagine, if you will, you cut various shapes from plywood.

If you have 15 different shapes, you have to manually put them all in one file in Corel and send them to the laser. So you have to cut and paste all 15 items into one file on the laser, then hit print.

With the Trotec job control, you can have each shape reside in job control and you can just drag and drop them onto the plate. So if you need 5 circles, 3 snowflakes, 2 angels, 5 christmas trees, 1 snowman, and 7 reindeer, you can just drag and drop them into the "plate" (table), and hit go and it'll cut them all. So it's essentially 6 different jobs, all being run on the same material, at the same time.

While that might sound simple and non-flashy, imagine if you have 6 different jobs for 6 different customers, all from the same material. In Windows, you have to go into each of those customers files and cut and paste the final objects into that one file you plan to send over. With Job Control, you can just leave the files as they are, send them over, and then at the time of production, you can organize them on your material how you see fit. You can drag and drop them anywhere on the table. So if you have a piece that's cut up, but still has some good material on it, you can just drag job after job onto the areas where the material is good.

It's very slick and very helpful in maximizing your material usage and also batching jobs and running them together, which means more production, less setup time.

It's my personal opinion that that type of power and flexibility is worth extra money because it helps me make money faster. I'm all for things that make me money faster.

Some people might not like it, but I personally love it.

Ross Moshinsky
08-22-2012, 11:13 PM
If you're buying a new machine, I'd look into getting a much more powerful machine. I couldn't imagine engraving and cutting plywood and MDF on a 30W machine regularly, and I have one. You could probably get a 10 year old 60W machine and it would absolutely smoke the 30W Trotec or Epilog.

Mike Null
08-23-2012, 7:20 AM
I certainly wouldn't suggest a 10 year old machine but agree with more power.

Ross Moshinsky
08-23-2012, 7:25 AM
I certainly wouldn't suggest a 10 year old machine but agree with more power.

I'm not suggesting a 10 year machine either. I'm simply suggesting that a 10 year old 60W laser would be faster than a brand new 30W machine from any company.

To engrave and cut wood, you should want more than 30W. 30W isn't close to enough.

Darryl Wagner
05-10-2017, 9:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I am on the market for a laser. I primarily do sand carving, but I need a laser to expand my capabilities. I have read through many of the threads about which laser to buy, and I've narrowed it down to two name brands. I don't want to mention brands because I don't want this thread to be about the brand. I would like it to be about new vs used.

This thread really caught my attention when Mike stated "I certainly wouldn't suggest a 10 year old machine". So I have to ask. Why not? It seems to me that if I can find a 10 year old laser at a reasonable price. Have it rebuilt as new (if needed). I could get a more powerful laser, and larger bed for less money than buying new. For example I can get a used 75 watt/36x24 laser for the same price as a new 40 watt/24x12 laser.

I'm pretty sure someone is going to suggest job control is a feature that I'll need, but I disagree. Job control simply helps with work flow. Not the laser technology, or finished quality of the engraving. This will be my first laser so I don't have a lot of work for it yet. If I get that busy that Job Control is something that I'll need. I'll enthusiastically buy a new laser. Can anyone convince me not to buy a used 10 year old laser?

Thanks in advance to all who contribute
Darryl Wagner
Custom Engraving Studio
Dover, PA

Bill George
05-11-2017, 7:36 AM
Darryl you really need to start another Thread on this, but I had a older ULS 50 watt machine that was tested at over 60 watts since a tube rebuild. It worked great. But older machines parts and service might be an issue but I never needed any. But some of the newer machines prices for tube recharge or replacement have gone sky high.
I no longer have a need for a large CO2 machine and ended up with smaller more portable one listed in my signature line.