PDA

View Full Version : Finials

Peter Blair
08-22-2012, 9:52 AM
Greetings. I have just begun to include finials and pedestals to some of my pieces. I primarily use WTF and Beal buffing but am not sure just how to get a good shine and finish on these fine details. How do you go about buffing them or do you?

Mike Cruz
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Micro mesh?

Scott Hackler
08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Peter, I don't "buff" my finials. I use african blackwood almost 99% on the time for mine, so there is a process to shining it up that works very well for me. I turn finials at 2000rpm or so.

After turning I sand the finial at the same speed, using 400, 600, 800 micro mesh, 1000 micro mesh, grey fake steel wool, white steel wool and finally.... the only trick I picked up from Cindy Drozda video.... apply black shoe polish while the lathe is running, with a paper towel and then use a clean paper towel to buff it off (lathe running). That produced an ecceptional finish and looks like bufffed poly or lacquer.

There, now I gave away the secrets! :)

This process would work well for ANY super hard, dark colored wood.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree that micro mesh works well. Scott did you have to give the secret away? I use black shoe polish also. Saw that at a demo by Cindy.

Dennis Ford
08-22-2012, 2:02 PM
Be careful with fake steel wool and don't use real steel wool on finials. It only takes a strand or two wrapping around to wind up the steel wool on the finial (which usually breaks the finial) and could suck your fingers in.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-22-2012, 7:57 PM
Scott,
I need to comment that even though your trick may not be exactly a highly classified secret, the fact that you are willing to share it with the readers here demonstrates the exact spirit people like David Ellsworth had in mind when he and a few others began the AAW. The sharing of knowledge is why I follow this forum and though I may never turn a thin finial or forget the shoe polish trick when I do, I know it will make a lot of turners here produce something better than had you not shared it. You're a good man.
faust

John M. Smith
08-22-2012, 8:38 PM
Scott,
Does the black shoe polish turn the blackwood completely black?

Mike Cruz
08-22-2012, 9:10 PM
Faust, you boasting Scott's good deeds will not make me divulge my secrets! Of course, that means I would have to have secrets to divulge...but that is beside the point. ;) :D

Michelle Rich
08-23-2012, 6:57 AM
You can use the blackwood & EEE Cream too..(it's from australia & works GREAT) (now Faust, do i get a pat on the back too??)

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-23-2012, 8:28 AM
Hey Michelle,
You know I'm one of your biggest fans. You have an eternal attagirl.
faust