PDA

View Full Version : Monster gloat...

Russell Eaton
08-22-2012, 8:41 AM
I was able to buy a new 4224b from Rockler last weekend. It was ordered in for a demo that Nick Cook was to do on Fri. and Sat. After the demo we loaded it up and I took it home. Because it was a demo I got a reduced price on it, otherwise I would have waited for a while. Steve was kind enough to take a few pictures as it was being loaded, and posted them last Saturday before it even made it home. We beat the rain by 3 min. and the unload was easy. Here are a couple pictures, and it includes shavings. The blank that is on it is river birch and it turns like butter. Enjoy, and thanks for looking. Russell

Alan Trout
08-22-2012, 9:00 AM
Russell,

Congratulations that is a nice gloat. It looks like it is going to be a lot of fun.

Alan

Jim Burr
08-22-2012, 9:06 AM
And it's dirty already...well done Russell!!

Tim Rinehart
08-22-2012, 9:34 AM
Super gloat Russell! I got to see that machine in action with Nick at the Charlotte Woodcraft store demo. It's really a nice gloat and loaded with options, that's for sure. Can't imagine anything you can't do with that beast!
Interestingly enough, I got a note from Powermatic yesterday and they now sell the light kits to upgrade older 4224s and the 3520s. CPO Powermatic has them for a little over $400.

Roger Chandler
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
That is a pretty nice hunk-O'-iron ya' got there Russell..........nice pile of curlees as well! There should be some nice turnings coming off that monsterously monster. One thing I have learned in turning.......the bigger you go, the harder and more time consuming the work...........of course, you can still make pens on that beast! :rolleyes::D

Bob Bergstrom
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
That is a pretty nice hunk-O'-iron ya' got there Russell..........nice pile of curlees as well! There should be some nice turnings coming off that monsterously monster. One thing I have learned in turning.......the bigger you go, the harder and more time consuming the work...........of course, you can still make pens on that beast! :rolleyes::D
It might take a while before I'd realize turning big on that lathe is any kind of "work". I'd be too busy smiley ear to ear!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Congrats on a nice lathe.

Ken Glass
08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Russell,
She's a beauty. The daddy of Mustard Monsters too. Looks like you have put her to work quickly. Great purchase......

Bill Bukovec
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I've got a nice three foot diameter hunk of red oak for you.

Do you want me to ship it? I'll just need your credit card number! ;-)

Steve Busey
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Looks like it's right at home in your shop, Russell! I don't think that blank would fit in my SHOP, let alone on my lathe.

Like Roger mentioned, I'd like to see a picture of a pen on there, to truly appreciate the scale of that thing! :rolleyes:

Harry Robinette
08-22-2012, 8:14 PM
Now that's a SWEET gloat and a large one also.

charlie knighton
08-22-2012, 9:22 PM
congratulations , great gloat and lathe, enjoy

Rick Markham
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Russell that is one sweet machine! I finally got to check one out in person a couple weeks ago, makes my 3520B look like a toy! Congrats! I'm green with envy:D

Kathy Marshall
08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats Russell! That is one heck of a gloat!

John Waver
08-23-2012, 3:12 AM
Nick Cook is a member of our turning club and demo'd on the 4224B last week. His 4224B has a custom 110" bed extension and is tagged serial number 1. I now have lathe envy! Congrats and let the shavings fly!