PDA

View Full Version : boot toe protection?

curtis rosche
08-21-2012, 5:07 PM
Do they make a rhino liner type product for the toe of work boots? I spend alot of the day on my knees, and the toes of my redwings are wearing rather quickly. I was told they make a glue on peice of plastic, but do they have a paint on type like rhino bed liner, or a steel cap for the outside?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2012, 5:35 PM
Try these Curtis: http://www.constructiongear.com/bootsaver-toeguards.html

Scott T Smith
08-21-2012, 6:05 PM
Curtis, you can also buy a can of spray bed liner at an auto parts store, mask them off and spray them youself. It is similar to the Rhino and LineX materials.

Myk Rian
08-21-2012, 6:12 PM
Get some brass sheet and make some. Wouldn't that look spiffy all shined up like a military belt buckle.
You could always do some engine turning on them.
:cool:

Jerome Stanek
08-21-2012, 6:14 PM
I had a pair of boot protectors from Red Wing like the ones Ken shows. They work really good as I to worked on my knees installing gondola fixture.

Jerry Bruette
08-21-2012, 9:39 PM
I use some stuff called kg's bootguard. Paint on a couple coats and works really well.

I don't know if you're RedWings are safety toe or not but if you wear through the leather and scuff the composite toe it voids any type of safety rating.

Jerry

Kevin Bourque
08-22-2012, 1:35 PM
Curtis, you can also buy a can of spray bed liner at an auto parts store, mask them off and spray them youself. It is similar to the Rhino and LineX materials.

That stuff also works well on the knee area of long pants to protect them from tearing.

curtis rosche
08-22-2012, 7:44 PM
That stuff also works well on the knee area of long pants to protect them from tearing.

I use some stuff called kg's bootguard. Paint on a couple coats and works really well.

I don't know if you're RedWings are safety toe or not but if you wear through the leather and scuff the composite toe it voids any type of safety rating.

Jerry

My redwings have aluminum toes, and at work if the hole is bigger than a dimes, the boots have to be replaced or they arent accepted.
and we wear knee pads so no need for painting my pants.
I bought a bed liner can today, ill find out tommorow if it sticks to leather well

curtis rosche
08-23-2012, 6:44 PM
So I got the spraycan bedliner and sprayed the toes of my boots, one is didnt stick to my boot and just peeled off after 15 minutes of work, two, some idiot forgot that there were a few runs on the bottom of his boot and brought them in after sitting all night assuming they were dry and set them on the familyroom carpt which is an off white/gray.
How do you remove bedliner from a carpet?

Mel Fulks
08-23-2012, 7:28 PM
There's away said the wise old man....(we have a good start to a song here)

Caspar Hauser
08-23-2012, 7:39 PM
A Dutchman.

ray hampton
08-23-2012, 7:42 PM
I would not try to remove this from your carpet but try it on a piece of scrap carpet first , computer spray cleaner when spray on the stain may cause it to freeze and come off, cutting the spot out and sewing a patch back in may be the only way

Myk Rian
08-23-2012, 8:01 PM
Not sticking to the boots-- Is there polish on them? Something else on the leather?

Carpet-- Trim the top layer with sheep shears. Or, go to the website and look for info.

Dick Latshaw
08-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm certainly glad this is not my problem. My wife would NEVER let me forget. :eek:

curtis rosche
08-24-2012, 3:47 AM
I'm certainly glad this is not my problem. My wife would NEVER let me forget. :eek:

My mother aint to happy either,,,,

John Coloccia
08-24-2012, 7:06 AM
I suspect the easiest path is to call a pro to cut out the offending part and patch it. You do have some carpet tucked away somewhere, right? You ALWAYS save some carpet, so there must be some somewhere.

Bill Edwards(2)
08-24-2012, 9:08 AM
I'd try a very, very, very small test with something like Oops. If it works, you could spend your evenings doing little 1/2 inch squares at a time. Almost anything has the potential to ruin the carpet, unlike the pristine condition it's in now. :rolleyes:

Kevin Bourque
08-24-2012, 9:53 AM
You might have to "freeze it" off. Try putting some dry ice in it for a few moments and then see if you can just crack it off the carpet.

Scott T Smith
08-24-2012, 9:56 AM
Curtis, I regret hearing that the spray bedliner didn't work; it has stuck to everything here on the farm that I've used it on. Did you clean the application area on your boots with a strong solvent first, such as MEK or laquer thinner?

I think that the only way to get it out of the carpet is to cut it out and splice in a piece (such as from a closet).

Scott

Mike Cruz
08-24-2012, 7:42 PM
Wait, so Curtis sprayed the toes of his boots on purpose? I thought he meant that he did that by accident while spraying the bed of his truck. One got clean easily, via peeling off 15 minutes later, but one still has some on it, and he is trying to remove the spray from both his other boot and the carpet. Why would he have purposefully sprayed his boot toes?

Ed Aumiller
08-24-2012, 9:20 PM
Mike, read this thread...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190798-boot-toe-protection

curtis rosche
08-24-2012, 9:23 PM
Wait, so Curtis sprayed the toes of his boots on purpose? I thought he meant that he did that by accident while spraying the bed of his truck. One got clean easily, via peeling off 15 minutes later, but one still has some on it, and he is trying to remove the spray from both his other boot and the carpet. Why would he have purposefully sprayed his boot toes?

Sprayed my boots toes in an attempt to make it so the leather didnt wear through. the surfaces at work are normaly plywood with drips and stuff from the concrete, so about the same as crawling across sandpaper.

I thought about cutting the carpet, but heres the problem. Its a large carpt that is overtop of hardwood floor, so cutting and patching would be noticable, and the spot is infront of the recliner...... I
will try the dryice, but doubt it will work. it seams the spray i got is more of a heavy paint than a plastic, so is just peeled off my boots. But the carpet it wont peel, but I will try.

Im gonna make a brass toe cap and polish it up.

If im awake after work tommorow, i will find the can and post the brand and stuff, maybe someone knows a solvent based on the product ingerdients?

PAUL FOWLER
08-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Make stainless steel toe cap, at one time we used metal caps to stop wear on flattracker boots.

Paul

Pat Barry
08-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I suggest a throw rug will solve your problem.

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2012, 4:47 AM
I thought about cutting the carpet, but heres the problem. Its a large carpt that is overtop of hardwood floor, so cutting and patching would be noticable, and the spot is infront of the recliner..
A pro can make that patch invisible.

If im awake after work tommorow, i will find the can and post the brand and stuff, maybe someone knows a solvent based on the product ingerdients?There's a good chance anything strong enough to cut the bed liner will destroy the carpet.
Personally, I'd call in a pro and get an estimate.

Mike Cruz
08-25-2012, 5:54 AM
Um, okay...yeah.

Myk Rian
08-25-2012, 9:19 AM
Instead of making a new thread, the OP should have continued this one:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190798-boot-toe-protection
Maybe a Mod will merge them.

Phil Thien
08-25-2012, 9:23 AM
The best spot remover I ever found. So good, I started a thread here at SMC about it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154761-WOW!-That-s-good-carpet-spot-remover&highlight=stain

Mel Fulks
08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
There's a remedy so simple we've all failed to see it ....just keep dragging bags of concrete over it.

Myk Rian
08-25-2012, 10:45 AM
The best spot remover I ever found. So good, I started a thread here at SMC about it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154761-WOW!-That-s-good-carpet-spot-remover&highlight=stain
You have carpet in the shop?
;)

Phil Thien
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
;)

I never thought about that.

When I said "shop," I meant the shop I run my networking/data recovery/etc business from.

I guess that certainly could be confusing.

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2012, 4:54 PM
I do....
Long story....but --yes, my shop is carpeted w/that fake green indoor/outdoor stuff.
My wife bought it and had it installed for (what else??) the dogs so they could have something soft to walk on in the garage.