PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of the Nylons

Gregory King
08-21-2012, 4:39 PM
My daughter/ son-in-law have purchased some century old dresser and vanity units for their new home. Some of the drawers in one unit need a bit of TLC to keep them moving freely. Good basic construction, red oak under several coats of paint and varnish, dovetail design good hardwood sides and back c/w wood on wood runners. With age of course, the wear is evident on both sides of the drawers and runners. I was thinking of adding some nylon type of strip to ease the operation. I recall seeing those on some of the cheaper, throw away versions, although I have never used any. Any thoughts? Probably lots of aftermarket strips that each of you are using. Brand names. On a closing note, I will post some pictures of one unit in particular in the project section that caught my eye. Old, but real good lines. Greg

Ole Anderson
08-21-2012, 5:01 PM
I saw your thread name and thought you were speaking of the 1980's singing group.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2012, 5:10 PM
I bought some UHMW tape and put it on the runners of my daughter's dresser and really improved the ease of opening/closing the drawers. I believe I ordered it from Hartville Tool or Woodcraft.

Jim Rimmer
08-21-2012, 5:35 PM
I saw your thread name and thought you were speaking of the 1980's singing group.

I thought he had found a use for pantyhose in the shop. :D

Sam Murdoch
08-21-2012, 6:35 PM
I bought some UHMW tape and put it on the runners of my daughter's dresser and really improved the ease of opening/closing the drawers. I believe I ordered it from Hartville Tool or Woodcraft.

Yes, if you can get some Ultra High Molecular Weight tape or strips that would be best - rather than nylon. I got some 1/8" x 1-1/2" strips from MacMaster Carr and I think they had many other options.

Myk Rian
08-21-2012, 7:29 PM
Paste wax.

matt stott
08-21-2012, 8:25 PM
I use teflon tape for stuff like this. Personally i use a brand called tygaflor- this would be serious overkill for a furniture application (i have lots of extra lying around from work in industrial machinery), you don't need it to withstand 500 degrees or anything like that, but the stuff is super slippery.

The normal teflon tapes from brands like 3M are great, flexible and removeable if you don't like them. I am not talking about the plumbing, thread seal tapes, just to be clear.

Matt

Gregory King
08-21-2012, 8:27 PM
Ole, you were right on with the name, I was. Tried to add a touch of comedy. Matt, Thanks for the Woodcraft suggestion. Like dealing with them. I will defintely change all of the runners, since they are a tad loose anyway. With a strip of the nylon recessed in the new ones, the drawers have to work better. I'll post the picture that I mentioned tomorrow nite. Sort of ran out of daylight helping with the house a bit. After all that's what Dad's are for, aren't they? Greg

Jacob Reverb
08-21-2012, 9:08 PM
Paste wax.

And thumb tacks. http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/nod.gif

Michael Wildt
08-21-2012, 10:07 PM
No need for nylon or other types of tape. Just get 'slip-it', works amazing.

"Slip-It reduces friction on moving wood parts. Use this specially formulated, silicone-free lubricant for wooden windows, doors, drawers and any other wood-on-wood application. Slip-It won’t gum up or cause pieces to jam, and won’t harm finished wood surfaces or skin. Applies easily with a paintbrush."

Rick Potter
08-22-2012, 5:07 AM
Ahhh, No Nylons, but I remember the Orlons biggest hit.......Wah Watusi.

Rick Potter

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2012, 7:07 AM
I thought he had found a use for pantyhose in the shop. :D
Those make good paint strainers.

phil harold
08-22-2012, 8:28 AM
I prefer Slipit over wax

Mike OMelia
08-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Those make good paint strainers.

I remember when I was a kid and my mom would make dandelion wine. She would use stockings (both of the toes) to strain the flower heads from the liquid. The first time she tried this, and squeezed the filled toes, we were shocked at the sight and laughed for hours. I'm thinking that Maxine (Hallmark Cards) might have something snarky to say about that. :)

Dave Zellers
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
When I go looking for Slipit, I'm finding Grizzly Slipit and just Slipit yet the cans are identical and the Grizzly Slipit costs half as much.

What's the deal with that?