PDA

View Full Version : Veritas tongue and groove Irons -- will they work on a Stanley 45?

Dan Carroll
08-21-2012, 3:47 PM
Has anyone made a test of this? I have Stanley 45 that Iuse the tongue and groove blade for quite a bit, but I do not have all thesizes. I have seen somewhere that the new VERITAS T&G blades are shorterbut will work in the '45 with the adjustor set down low because the blades areshorter than the Stanley is. Anyone actually tried it? Just how far down doesthe adjuster have to go on the 45? There is some slap in the adjustor anyway,but I can see where it might get so far down as to useless.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-21-2012, 9:03 PM
I'm sure somone (maybe Derek once we hit Oz time) will chime in, but if no one does, I'd suggest emailing Lee Valley - they're probably likely to get you an answer.

Dan Carroll
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Joshua,

I took your advise and sent an e-mail to Lee Valley. This is the reponse I got back in about 5 minutes. Thanks.

"Thankyou for your e-mail. TheVeritas® small plow plane blades will fit the Stanley 45 but our blades areshorter which means they’ll have a shorter life expectancy. The Veritas®blades are 3-1/4" long and 1/8" thick.

Regards,

CarolineBrisson
InternetCustomer Service Representative"

Dan Carroll

Stew Hagerty
08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
They have fantastic customer service...
The blade thing is good to know, I'm missing a couple myself.

Rob Lee
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Joshua,

I took your advise and sent an e-mail to Lee Valley. This is the reponse I got back in about 5 minutes. Thanks.

Dan Carroll
[SIZE=3]

Geez -

Caroline skunked both myself and Terry.... Terry went to pull a 45 from the racking to test......!

Cheers -

Rob

Richard Line
08-22-2012, 3:48 PM
Rob, obviously you aren't the only really good person there. But I knew that already.

Derek Cohen
08-23-2012, 1:39 AM
Has anyone made a test of this? I have Stanley 45 that Iuse the tongue and groove blade for quite a bit, but I do not have all thesizes. I have seen somewhere that the new VERITAS T&G blades are shorterbut will work in the '45 with the adjustor set down low because the blades areshorter than the Stanley is. Anyone actually tried it? Just how far down doesthe adjuster have to go on the 45? There is some slap in the adjustor anyway,but I can see where it might get so far down as to useless.

What I have done is use the Stanley #45 beading blades in the Small Plow. You can get them to work but there are shortcomings:

1. The Stanley blades are significantly longer than the Plow, and to use them you must first remove the blade adjuster. They can be adjusted by hand.

The reverse of this is that the new T&G blades will be much shorter than those designed for the Stanley. They may be held in the #45 but the adjustment system cannot be activated.

2. For those interested in the #45 beading blades in the Small Plow, be aware that the skate gets in the way and you will be required to extend the blades manually to finish the cut.

Personally, I would just look out for T&G blades on eBay for the #45. They will fit and be less complicated to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan Carroll
08-26-2012, 8:22 PM
Derek, for the most part that is what I have done. But it is sometimes difficult to get both the groove and matching tongue from the same source. I have also had some issues with the smaller size sets not be quite the same.