PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Concrete Caulking

Keith Starosta
04-12-2005, 7:55 AM
Last Spring, after our pool was installed, a large portion of the concrete pad, along with the brick work surrounding the pool started to go straight down the crapper. After a very long, painful process, we finally got the concrete repoured and the bricking replaced. The brick work was done last December, and while it wasn't horribly cold outside, it was too cold, IMHO, for them to have tried to lay down the caulk that is supposed to go between the brick edging and the concrete pad. Sure enough, after only about one month, all of the caulk that had actually hardened started to peel out and generally look like garbage. At this point, I'm not going back to the installer, so I'm going to tackle this myself.

As seen by the picture I've attached, there are several spots around the perimeter of the pool where the gap between brick and concrete is between 1" and 1.5". At a few spots they are also 1-2" deep. The stuff that was used originally was your standard exterior concrete caulk (I can't remember the exact name). My question is, does anyone have any tips on how I can prepare some of the larger gaps before I lay the caulk? How about suggestions as to what material to use? Is the exterior concrete caulk the best way to go? The original guy just filled the gaps with sand, then laid down the caulk. That didn't turn out well at all.

I'd like to tackle this project this weekend, so any help you can offer would be HUGELY appreciated. :D

Keith

Jim Becker
04-12-2005, 9:26 AM
Sand?? Sheesh! You need backer rod in those deep gaps to support the caulk. This is basically a round foam extrusion that comes in several diameters. You stuff it in then caulk over it. You use less caulk...which might actually cure...and it has something to grab onto.

Keith Starosta
04-12-2005, 9:50 AM
Jim, can that foam extrusion rod be purchased at the Borg, or is it a specialty item?

Keith

Jim Becker
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't know about the 'borg, but you can certainly get it at any good building supplier including specialty places that deal in the masonary or insulation/drywall trades.

Bill Lewis
04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Like Jim said "backer rod". It's made in different diameters for different size cracks to fill.

It's been awhile, but I used to work for a friend who owns a pool service company. We used to use a flexible self leveling caulk. The stuff was more liquid than standard caulking. You can probably buy this from a pool supply "wholesaler" in your area. I'm sure it comes in a variety of colors to find one that will work.

I just checked, and noticed that you are in Frednecksburg VA. If you can't find what your looking for down your way, then check with Hatchik's in Springfield VA. 703-321-7699 www.hatchiksupply.com (http://www.hatchiksupply.com) I was just thumbing through their catalog (I use them for our "pool" here at work) they carry the backer rod an a whole variety of caulks, sealants, and concrete repair items.
They are a wholesaler, so they may not want to sell to you. Most wholesalers will do over the counter sales. If not they can at least recomend a product, and possibly direct you to an installer or retailer.

BTW, here is a picture of my "pool" here at work. 3.5 million gallon, Underwater Explosion Test Pond Facility. NSWC Carderock Div.

Keith Starosta
04-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks very much for that info, Bill. I'm going to do some research tonight to find not only the backer rod, but also this caulk you mentioned.

Keith

Bill Lewis
04-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Keith, just bumping your thread here. You responded while I was editing my post to include more information. Just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Keith Starosta
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Bill, that is great information. I just sent a request to that company for some information. Hopefully they can help out.

By the way....nice "pool". I bet that thing is a bear to vacuum. :D

Keith

Bill Lewis
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
We vacuum it about once a year, we use a team of at least 3 divers and a couple of "high lift" systems I designed and built. It takes at least 3 days and up to 5 to do the job.

BTW we treat the water as you would a swimming pool, but filter the water to a higher level (5 micron) than what you would normally for a swimming pool. We need the clarity for high speed digital video documentation of undex events. While I am the engineer in charge of testing at this facility, my previous experience working on backyard pools has come in handy.