PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Max FS35 setup

William C Rogers
08-21-2012, 5:20 AM
I just bought a Mini-Max FS35. It is the older "yellow" model. It has a 3hp Baldor single phase motor. It does have the knife setting jig with it. I did see it operate and everything seemed to work ok except when in the planer mode the work piece stopped and needed to be helped to continue. Hopefully this is an adjustment or just cleaning and waxing the tables. Of course we took the jointer tables off and motor off to move it up 7 steps. Since I have never had a combo machine and the downloaded manual is a bit skimpy, what are some of the common things as far as what to lubricate, set up, etc.? How should the pressure rollers be adjusted? Does the fence stay square? What about the "wheel" that engages the planer feeder? Any tips and information would be helpful. I gave $750, which seems reasonable ?? for the machine as I wanted a larger jointer capacity. Any help is appreciated.

Mike Wilkins
08-21-2012, 9:37 AM
Congrats on the new JP machine. I have found the biggest influence on travel through the planer is the condition of the table. Make sure it is clean and waxed for a smooth travel. Plain furniture wax is what I use, after cleaning with mineral spirits. And make sure there are no metal burrs on the edge of the infeed side of the table. I found one on mine, which acted like a hand pulling the board backwards. Quick work with a file cured it.
As for any other tips/suggestions. Just make sure everything is clean. Dust can play havoc with smooth operation. Try to find an operators manual by posting a request on different forums; last, check with the MiniMax company. They may have a manual, or can possibly point you in the proper direction.

David Kumm
08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
www.solowoodworker.com (http://www.solowoodworker.com) Charlie Plesums is a go to guy about all things MM and the site is a good read. Dave

Norb Schmidt
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I've got a golden MM myself - the 12" one. I never removed the tables, so I can't opine on that. As for the pressure rollers, there is an allen head adjustment to the spring pressure when you open the tables (from above) - I just added some pressure to make it bite. All you're looking for is enough to get the board to feed consistently. I set my knives with a straight edge and feeler gauges - I never much cared for the "jig". The knives are stout and are adjusted with jack screws - just set the height even with the outfeed table and make sure both tables (infeed/outfeed) are coplaner. As for the fence - I just like to set it to 90 degrees and leave it. I put a euroguard and mine (hate the porkchop - but to each their own), and modified a HVAC dust register to hook up dust collection (who uses rectangular connections...). I have a mortising attachment for mine - which is really nice.

Once you have it set up, you'll like it. It is really nice to joint a wide board quickly. The planer works well too. As others have said, wax all the tables and enjoy it. But, don't go looking at the new ones - they have Tersa knives, quick adjust fences, power feeds, digital readouts, and more (for only an extra zero in your price.....). The Manual - well, it's translated from Italian into French, German, and English. It doesn't provide much help.

Congrats and enjoy getting to know your new machine. Just take it one step at a time and post again if you get into trouble.

mreza Salav
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I bought a FS-350 J/P and dis-assembled it to all the pieces to take it down to my basement shop and put it back together. I have documented it here in a couple of threads (search will show it).
I suspect your machine isn't a lot different than mine. Adjustments aren't too bad IMO and the machine is very solid and stable. You can adjust the pressure roller as well as the feed roller. Make sure the table is clean and that the feed roller has the proper pressure. If you need any help that I can provide I'd be happy to do so.