PDA

View Full Version : Atlas shingles??

Jeff Monson
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Getting ready to roof my house, I have the organic Certainteed shingles on my house right now. After 13 years they are shot, so its time for new roofing. I priced out some Atlas shingles at Menards, they are on sale right now, 35 year architectural shingles for $72.00 per square. As this seems to be a great price, I just wonder if they are a decent product. Any info. on them or any other recemmondations are welcome.

Larry Edgerton
08-21-2012, 7:04 AM
Jeff, I keep track of shingle warrenty claim numbers, and GAF Timberlines seem to be the best at this moment. That is what I put on my house anyway.

Can't comment on Atlas, never used them.

Larry

David G Baker
08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Don't know anything about Atlas shingles but I do know about Certaineed. I have had them on my house and two out buildings. The shingles on my house and one of my out buildings are fine but the shingles on my small barn keep falling off the roof where the glue tabs hold the them together. I called and wrote Certaineed. I shipped them one of the shingles that had fallen, their answer back was that the installer had not nailed them correctly. I had the roof re-done by another company using the same shingle brand and type. They are still separating at the glue tab. I will not recommend nor purchase Certainteed products again.

Jeff Monson
08-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I will not recommend nor purchase Certainteed products again.

I would not put certainteed back on my house either. I'm sure they have improved on the organic shingles, but they wont ever get any money from me.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Count me as the 3rd. My property is a no-Certainteed zone after the shingle debacle.