PDA

View Full Version : First Pics

Tom Hurlebaus
04-11-2005, 10:57 PM
First, thanks to the team for the helping me determine my problem with posting pictures. Apparently my file size was too large, so hopefully I did this right and decreased their size without making them look any worse than they are.

I’ve been enjoying everyone’s pictures of tools, shops and projects and I guess I'll have to finally break down and buy a digital camera so I can post some future pics. Mmmmmm ... maybe I can use this forum as the purchase excuse to my wife:) or do I need more tools ???

I'm a new member and I mainly do scrollsaw projects, angels, Christmas ornaments, knickknack stuff, but last year my daughter was getting married and asked if I would build her a Wedding Arbor.

Attached are a couple of pics taken in my garage workshop by one of my friends.

The difference in designs on each side represents a nationality symbol of bride and groom.

Mark Stutz
04-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Tom,
That is incredible. I have never done any scrolling, but doubt that I would have the patience. I have never seen scrollwork done on that scale before. What is the wood? How many hours do you have in that project? Again, incredible. BTW, Welcome to the Creek!

Mark

Jim O'Dell
04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I have to agree 100%. Man, that is beautiful. It is obvious that it was/is a work of love. I'm sure your daughter is very proud of it and you!
Good to have you at the Creek. It's a great place to relax after a hard day. Jim.

Tom Hurlebaus
04-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys ... I tried a wood I hadn't used before - 3/4" mahogany.The front and back arches are made up of 32 14"-15" pieces doweled together and split at top and middle so that I could fit it in my trunk to get it to the church.

As far as how long it took to complete, well ... I worked on it for over 6 months and I think the only reason I'm finished now is that I had a deadline date.

Roger Barga
04-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Tom, that is really beautiful. I don't think my eyes would ever be the same after that much scroll sawing. Thanks for sharing and welcome! I think I'll take another look at your work...

cheers,
Roger

PS - Anyone else think of the movie "Meet the Parents"? Ben Stiller meets his fiance's former boyfriend, who has carved a wedding arbor for their nuptuals. As a wood worker I wondered if people really built such ornate arbors. Now I know...

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Wow, that is incredible, beautiful scroll work. Thanks for sharing.

Corey

Mark Singer
04-12-2005, 12:23 AM
You are refining an art! It is wonderful and very original!

Pat Monahan
04-12-2005, 1:50 AM
Wow, Tom - that's really impressive! I hope you had a quick change type blade holder :D . I'd be interested in seeing more of your work
Pat

Dan Forman
04-12-2005, 4:02 AM
Amazing detail, obviously lots of thought went into it. You must have patience in spades. A wonderful gift for your daughter and son in law. Welcome, and enjoy the creek.

Dan

Karl Laustrup
04-12-2005, 5:27 AM
First, welcome to the "Creek" Tom. It's good to have another "Cheesehead" aboard. :)

Second, that is one beautiful piece of woodworking. I like the ingenious way you figured out how to build it to be able to transport it.

What happens to it after the wedding? Seems you could make a couple of bucks renting it out for other weddings, if you had a mind to do that.

Doug Shepard
04-12-2005, 6:46 AM
Glad you made it thru the picture loading problem, or we'd have never seen these. They are still quite large by inet norms, but for these I'm not sure the detail would have come thru as clearly if smaller. Fantastic job. Welcome to the Creek.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-12-2005, 7:43 AM
WOW is right....that's an incredible set of arches!

Bill Arnold
04-12-2005, 7:47 AM
Tom,

Beautiful work! Certainly a labor of love!!!

I wish I had the patience for doing that kind of detail.

Regards,

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2005, 8:40 AM
Tom,

Welcome to the Creek! Great arbors! You obviously have a lot of patience and skill!

Jim W. White
04-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Stunning work!!

Equally impressive are all the word pictures concerning a marriage you worked into the details.

...just amazing ...I find myself going back up to the post to look through the photos again and again.

Thanks for sharing these with us and welcome to the BB.

...Jim in Idaho

scott spencer
04-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Amazing...

David Tiell
04-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Beautiful!!!