PDA

View Full Version : lathe modifications link

Paul Engle
08-20-2012, 6:33 PM
Rick,
Here is the link to the mods I did on my 1236 from Jan 2009 . the tutorial is rather cliped and if ayone wants to attempt something like this I would be happy to help out, just PM me , the big expense is the tool makers cross slide I use is about $1200 dollars but decent ones can be had from some fair outlets for a lot less. I made 4 ornimental turings that year and took 4 blue ribbons at the county fair , try county fair or blue ribbons - in the search and you should see them.
Paul
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?101991-lathe-modifications&p=1023733#post1023733

Rick Markham
08-21-2012, 2:30 PM
Thanks for posting this Paul. That's really a pretty neat set up. I think part of my problem is that the lathe that I have currently has a 20" swing. I'm not sure I can afford (or find) a machinist cross slide for a 20" swing lathe. It's cool that you made a lead screw, my brain hadn't wrapped that far around the idea to figure out what to do about that part. Alot of what you are talking about in that thread is a bit over my head, I will have to take some serious time to study all of it. Do you have any pics of some of the ornamental turning that you did with it?

Paul Engle
08-21-2012, 3:08 PM
County Fair is Blue Ribbon... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?90828-County-Fair-is-Blue-Ribbon-day-for-me-!!!&p=913341#post913341)
Rick, this the thread for the OT items . Not sure why it did not link but copy and paste into the search window will give it up.. The cross slide you can find on ebay " cross slide compound rest " . any where from 59$ on up. the tool post are not too spendy , Little machine shop has em as well as most machine tool suppliers of which i have NO $ intrest in ... the index plate was 29$, tool post was 89$ with quick release and 4 holders . various toolin and carbide bits about 30 dollars ,the fun part is making the ways to bolt the slide to clamp to the lathes ways....gotta be close.