PDA

View Full Version : some turns

Jack Wood
04-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Here are few turnings I did recently. The yellow colored wood is chittam wood and this was a small burl I turned trying to leave as much of the voids and cracks as I could. The other is cherry wood.

Carole Valentine
04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Nice! Never heard of chittam wood, but it sure is pretty. Is that a native wood for you?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Looks like nice work. Would be helpful if the background were not so dark and with fewer distractions. Takes a while to get the photography down, but your work looks like it deserves it.

Ernie Nyvall
04-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Nice work Jack. I like what you did with that burl.

Ernie

Jack Wood
04-12-2005, 6:54 AM
Thanks! Carole here is a link to chittam wood that might help you. It's from TX but I live in AL where it is also found. From my understanding it is spread across the US but not widespread in those areas where it is found. I lucked up on it because my brother in law works construction and they were clearing a site to build a house and there was a small patch of these that were pulled up by a backhoe. It's been "curing" for 10 years (large pile behind his work shop).

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/cotinusobovatus.htm

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2005, 7:58 AM
We have a small smoke tree in our back yard, I did not know where it came from, and I appreciate the info. I like the form of the cherry bowl. Cherry is sometimes difficult to turn without getting cracks, and it seems you have a near perfect bowl with no cracks, and a beautiful finish. Thanks for showing them to us.

Steve Knowlton
04-12-2005, 9:47 AM
nice looking bowls. we have chittam wood out in oregon. as a child we used to peel the bark. we then dried it and sold it. they use it to make laxatives with. i will have to see if i can get a piece and turn.

Jack Wood
04-12-2005, 7:02 PM
We have a small smoke tree in our back yard, I did not know where it came from, and I appreciate the info. I like the form of the cherry bowl. Cherry is sometimes difficult to turn without getting cracks, and it seems you have a near perfect bowl with no cracks, and a beautiful finish. Thanks for showing them to us.
Thanks everyone! Glen there is a small chip on the lip where there was a worm hole but it's not very big. Cherry is really a gorgeous wood isn't it?

Steve Beadle
04-12-2005, 7:26 PM
nice looking bowls. we have chittam wood out in oregon. as a child we used to peel the bark. we then dried it and sold it. they use it to make laxatives with. i will have to see if i can get a piece and turn.
We have chittam wood here in Oregon? I've never heard of it. Is it the same tree that they strip cascara bark off of? :confused:

Glenn Hodges
04-13-2005, 10:55 AM
If the Chittam Tree and the Smoke Tree are the same tree, we have a 4 year old Smoke Tree in our yard. Take a look and see if this one a little past its prime in blooming is the same as the one you turned the wood from.
Thanks

Steve Knowlton
04-13-2005, 3:24 PM
It Is The Same Tree They Get The Cascara Bark From. The Smoke Tree Does Not Look The Same. I Will See If I Can Get A Picture Of A Chittam Tree.