PDA

View Full Version : Blame it on Paul HF

Scott Hackler
08-20-2012, 2:21 PM
Here is a strange little dude that is ENTIRELY because of Paul Hedman's work! I am fortunate to own one of his pieces and stare at it on a daily basis, so one day I broke out the tools and proceeded to turn, carve, dimple and sand blast this HF. Nothing like Paul's master pieces, but different none the less. More of an experiment than anything else.

About 4" x 5", sycamore, tung oil finish.

Comment away!

Roger Chandler
08-20-2012, 3:24 PM
Conceptually, this is neat......like the spiral arrangement. The dimpling in that arrangement is not my cup of tea, but shows that you are always stretching your boundaries..........that is very commendable and will cause you to continue to up your game in wood art............that I admire!

My time constraints tie my hands related to embellishments such as pyro and carving...........maybe one day!

Jim Burr
08-20-2012, 3:58 PM
Beehive and Pikes Peak come to mind right off the bat! Very nice pottery (visual) feel to it...with those bum wrists, you did great...Scott!

Rick Markham
08-20-2012, 4:00 PM
Experiments and experimental turning are always cool in my book. I like the idea behind this one, and you should make another. I don't have an aircompressor strong enough to run a sandblaster (I wish I did) so I have zero experience with sandblasting. What if you sandblasted it a bit more to make it a bit more "sponge-like" in texture. (Does it work that way?)

Overall I like it, the underlying form is a pleasing shape, especially with the neck.

James Roberts
08-20-2012, 9:55 PM
This has a very primitive feel to it, sort of an artifact kind of vibe. I like this a lot. It's good to see you stepping out of the box and trying new things, it can only add to your already impressive skills.

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Interesting and unique piece Scott. I really like it.

Joe Bradshaw
08-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Scott, your piece made me think of the southwest cave dwellings. Very nice work.

Jerry Marcantel
08-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Hmmmm......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Scott Hackler
08-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Hmmm is right! :)

I can't get away from experimenting with shapes and treatments, so this one (whether it works or not) helps along the learning process and gives me some ideas for a future form.

Thanks for the comments.