PDA

View Full Version : A beginner

Chuck Burke
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me, in the absence of a teacher, or woodturning classes, what is the best way to learn to turn?
Being stuck out in the middle of the pacific limits my options. Are their videos? Do I just take my tools and have at it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards

Carole Valentine
04-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi chuck! I know the feeling of being stuck in the middle of nowhere and not being able to get hands-on instruction. I am basically teaching myself through books and videos. I was able to travel to a Woodcraft for a one day bowl class. What do you want to turn? Pens, bowls, spindle work? I started with pens and a Dick Sing video and book on pen turning. Then I got Bill Grumbine's video on how to turn a bowl, which is excellent! Also have some Richard Raffan books and tapes. And of course I asked zillions of questions here and in the turning forum of WoodCentral. Turners are a great group of people and always willing to help so ask away! When you first start, just practice turning some spindles to get a feel for the tools and how they cut. WEAR A FACE SHIELD...I can't stress this enough! Mine has already saved me a couple of times.

James Mahoney
04-12-2005, 2:28 AM
How'zit Chuck, here on the Island of Oahu there is a Woodcraft Store that has classes. Also we have a Community College that offers class. Maybe some place like this are on Maui,try check. For me as a Tree trimmer I run into alot of wood workers, and made friends. Just so happens my first buddy turned on a Machine Lathe,So thats where I started turning using a old machine lathe from sand island. Then on to a bigger guy from Pearl Harbor. Never got any hands on teacher,just alot of verbal instructions. Now I'm learning to turn on my new Min-jet, this buddy larry is helping , What a friend..... Good luck Chuck, Aloha.

Chuck Burke
04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Carole,
Thanks for the info. I'll look for the Dick Sing video. Mostly I will be turning items in the "spindle" catagory to start. I would like to do bowls someday....
How did you learn which tool to use for what?

chuck

Chuck Burke
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
James,
Nice to hear from you again. YOu guys get everyting on Oahu! I was actually thinking maybe Maui is ready for a woodcraft or rockler store.
I am enquiring around for someone to help teach but for now, I'll just practice.
I have a delta 14" lathe and tools.

Chuck

Carole Valentine
04-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Carole,
How did you learn which tool to use for what?

chuck
LOL Well, when I got my lathe, I also got a starter set of tools. One of them was roughing gouge and there were several spindle gouges and a parting tool so I figured I was supposed to get the square blank round with the roughing gouge and do the rest with the spindle gouge. I had never seen anyone turn so I just dove right in. Did more scraping than cutting on that first piece, then I learned about sharpening.:eek: Went out and got one of the Woodcraft slow speed grinders and Wolverine sharpening jig with the vari-grind attachment and from then on, my turning life became much easier. The little Henry Taylor starter set of tools was fine for pens but that is about all. Within a short time I graduated to big girl tools (mine are mostly Crown and Sorby) and started on bowls. Now I am dreaming of a larger lathe! Get some of the books and videos I mentioned and you will be on your way. And feel free to come here and ask lots of questions

Chuck Burke
04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Ok Carole,
YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!! (Insert laugh here) .... I am assuming a roughing gouge, which did NOT come with my set of delta turning tools, is a must. Quesiton is, what do I look for ? Size? Composition? Etc.

Thanks
Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards.

Chris Lee
04-13-2005, 7:42 AM
Chuck,

I would not say a roughing gouse is a must, but it does make it easier to go from square to round a little quicker. You can pick up a good roughing gouge from 3/4" to 2" for not much money. If you don't want to spend too much try they roughing gouge from Penn State Ind. They have several sizes that can be had for 20 to 30 buck and they are ok tools to learn with.

Good Luck,

Chris

Raymond Overman
04-13-2005, 8:56 AM
Chuck,

Depending on what you're wanting to turn, in my opinion it's a good idea to purchase single tools rather than a set. Especially when you're looking at the larger tools. The specialized single tools seem to fit better into my arsenal of WMD and have allowed me to slowly grow my collection as I've figured out where I'm lacking. I've even made a few of my own tools and learned a little about how they work in the process.

Even though the P&N tools (Lee Valley, Craft Supply, probably others) come unhandled, they are reasonably priced and seem to be quality tools. Plus you get good practice doing spindle work while making the handle. I just bought an unhandled P&N 1/2 bowl gouge for one third of the cost of the Crown Ellsworth Signature gouge. I'm very pleased with the performance and with the Ellsworth jig it sharpens very easily.

I also have/had a Crown 3/8 bowl gouge that I was fond of. I should have read up on sharpening it though and gone ahead and bought a jig. It can now be best described as stubby.

The tools I use the most are:

1/2 bowl gouge
1/8 parting tool
1 oval skew
home made scraper/boring bar

The next tools I will purchase are:

1/16 parting tool to replace the 1/8
3/4 roughing gouge
5/8 bowl gouge

Good luck.

Carole Valentine
04-13-2005, 9:15 AM
Chuck, I think your question about a roughing gouge has already been answered (the one I use now is a 1" Crown) The only thing I might add, which you are probably aware of, is be sure your turning tools are made of high speed steel...most are. I don't know what the Delta set includes, but like you, I had no idea what I needed to start so I got the Henry Taylor starter set. It was enough to get me going, but I rarely use any of those tools now except for detailing. They are just too small. Sharpening skill is an absolute must, no matter what tools you have. A dull gouge will quickly discourage the most enthusiastic beginner! I find myself turning to the grinder often, especially when finish turning a project.