PDA

View Full Version : LS 1013 Gloat!!

Charlie Woods
04-11-2005, 9:59 PM
Sorry I have not posted in awhile. The spring is often the busiest time for me since the Performing Arts Center is rented out quite abit for all kinds of performances.
Well, after much research, and going back over the comments posted by the members here I got the Makita LS 1013. With free shipping and the $75 dollar rebate I saved some money, which will go into the purchase of a better blade( probably a freud).
It arrived in excellent condition, with no damage to the box. It needed no adjusting and cut 10, 20, 30, 45 degree mitres dead on for my first test cuts. The table rotates very smoothly, with minimal preassure. I have already used it to cut some decorative trim for a chess table I am building, and will be taking some time to put it through it's paces when I help a friend install a new wood floor and retrim his living room. Ergonomics on this saw are great for me. I like the smooth push and pull of the unit when cutting, and the handle and trigger is comfortable. The work light is an intresting addition, but it does not put out enough light, so I have to bend it closer to the work piece.

As you can see from the other Pics I finished the mobile clamp/tool rack so I can have a little more room around the work bench and in general around my home shop. It really would not have taken me to long to finish, but after comming in from work at midnight for the last 3-4 weeks I only spent an hour in the shop once a week.( even an hour a week does wonders for my moral) Again I aplogize for the pic quality, I will spend more time this summer with the camera and photoshop honing my digital imaging skills.

Thanks

Dan Forman
04-12-2005, 4:50 AM
Enjoy that new saw, looks like a beauty! I'll be looking for one sometime down the line too. I guess you NEED that clamp cart.

Dan

Per Swenson
04-12-2005, 5:08 AM
Great saw! You will be impressed with its accuracy.
But don't run out and buy a blade just yet.
You might find, as I did with my ls1214, that to improve
on the stock makita blade is not a easy chore.
I am speculating here, but I think they come stock with a Tenryu
mitre saw blade which retails in the North east for $120.00
(I have both to compare) Another note my saw is 12 inch and this applys here.
I do not see why they would put a lesser blade on the 10".
I hope this saves you some money to put towards something else.
Per

Kelly C. Hanna
04-12-2005, 7:56 AM
I've been happy with mine for three years now. I have been told the 1214 fences will fit on my saw, so I may be happier even longer! Mine's still very accurate and cuts like a dream. The stock blade is a good one, but I also use Freuds, although probably not the one you will use (mine are the $30 Freud Home Depot blades used for Cedar and treated Pine).

I have also used the DW crosscut blades (60 & 80 tooth) with great success.

Charlie Woods
04-14-2005, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

(I guess you NEED that clamp cart.)
Dan: I wish I had more need for the clamp cart. I don't have as many as I would like, especially long clamps. Most of the ones I have were purchased at various auctions. Hope to add a few more to my stock.
Per: I will hold off on the Blade purchase. I am removing it and putting on one of my 80 tooth Freud blades for the flooring job, and I will keep the first one for my trim projects this summer.

Kelly: You recommended the saw in my origional post( along with others) Thanks!. I hope this is my last SCMS purchase for awhile.

lou sansone
04-15-2005, 6:15 AM
makita makes some real decent stuff. I happen to like their biscut jointer, and their hand held power planes. They make a 3" wide and a 6" wide hand held power plane that the timber framers just love. I used the 6" one to plane all the timbers in my shop. worked great.
congratultions on your new blue machine
lou

Tyler Howell
04-15-2005, 8:11 AM
Fine machine. I love mine and echo what Per said about the blade. Very happy owner:cool: