PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2012, 8:49 AM
20 Aug 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Well the temps here finally settled into the "under 100 degrees" category and we even got a little rain this time through!! Yea.!!! According to my records, we've gotten about 2" of total rainfall since late April of this year. I'm not talking about our entire state, I'm talking about what I've measured here at my house. Other areas of the state have gotten more rain that this, but I don't track their rain amounts. :)

I've been working a lot at the day job lately and that's taken a lot of my time. I did manage to take some time this past weekend to spend it with my family in watching a movie and visiting with the LOML Jr and her husband. Really nice to see and visit with them again. Done a little upholstery work on Saturday and I repaired the arm of our couch as part of the wood frame came loose on the underside and I broke out my woodworking skills and fixed it.

Back to the grind today....so that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2012, 9:01 AM
I started my weekend after driving back from a work trip to Columbus on Friday. On the way I made a couple stops at suppliers we for various things in the kitchen and then later we went out to Lowes so my wife could visualize door profiles and to The Tile Shop to pick out backsplash tile.

Saturday I did something I haven't done in a long time--MOWED THE LAWN! Its rained enough the last few weeks that our grass is actually mostly green again. First though I had to do the initial oil change on the new mower and swap the blades for a fresh set. Also trimmed, pruned bushes, etc before heading to Detroit to take my mom and wife to the Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney concert. Conveniently held at Ford Field right across the street from Comerica Park where the Tigers were playing at the same time. 100,000 extra people (I think that makes 100,317 total) people downtown--what a joy. :rolleyes:

Sunday I worked on my kitchen drawing quadruple checking dimensions and putting together an estimate for a sheet goods order and my door/drawer order which went out late last night. Ordering sheet goods this morning.

David Hostetler
08-20-2012, 9:34 AM
Got up early Saturday morning, had a contractor come and clean out my dryer vent (LOML freaks out every time I mention needing to go on the roof). Went into Houston to an appliance parts house to get a new high limit fuse / thermostat, had an extended lunch / gab session with my father in law and one of my sisters in law. That was probably the high point of my weekend. However by the time I got home, I had a splitting migraine, but I muscled through it and went ahead and swapped the duds on the dryer. Only to find still no heat. Head was hurting too bad to want to worry about it then... Went to bed...

Sunday played hookie from church, got up and started metering things in the dryer, only to find the main wire for the heating coil had fallen off its terminal, slide it back on, watch it fall off. Grab pliers, and gave it a little squeeze before sliding it together, NOW it holds together like it's supposed to. Chased down the wiring and found 2 other terminals like that, fixed them too. Plugged dryer back in and tested. Works like brand new now... Helped LOML get the laundry going again...

The worst part, is we have been without a dryer since Tuesday. LOTS of laundry to do...

In that same time frame we ran around like lunatics looking for Panasonic U-10 bags. It appears that they don't exist in the big box stores in Houston, so I settled for Type U-2 bags from Home Depot. Except the attachment point for those bags are double the size they should be... Took them back, went to Walmart during Tax Free Weekend, BIG mistake... But we found the proper U-replacement bags there, says they fit U2/U3/U4/U6 etc.... and are HEPA rated. Not exactly what the factory called for, but if the factory would quit putting out a dozen different bag types for very simlar vacuums, there wouldn't be this problem in the first place... (I may be ranting now...).

I found a piece of corner strip for drywall that had walked away from the drywall. Long story short, I tugged, and now have a 10' section of wall to redo. LOML is less than thrilled. I need to sand the mud back a few inches, so I got the sander out, just need to move the shop vac / thien rig into the living room so I can get this sanding done without coating the house in drywall dust too badly...

We finally managed to get every last single item on the materials list for doing the main panel upgrade and sub panel addition. I am ready to pull the trigger as soon as the city approves the permit. We will probably schedule this for a Friday so we can get the inspector out and get power thrown back on...

I am working on fixing a set of metal chairs and a metal framed glass topped table that is getting ready to go into my kitchen right where the big freezer is right now. LOML loves this setup, the longer we have it, the more I want to donate it to a kid just getting his / her first apartment... Reminds me of that sort of furniture.